New tank, What fish?

Teamsherman

G'day,

I am getting a 3foot long x 2 foot high x 1 1/2 foot wide tank to add to my collection and was wondering what sort of fish i should put in it. I am thinking of going african but i know nothing about their water parameters or anything like that.

I have got americans already (red devils, convicts, rainbows) but i am interested in getting some more americans aswell

So can someone suggest some other types of cool americans or africans i should put in the tank.

And i know that they cant live together. (americans and africans).

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Alan. biggrin.gif

I have pics of the tank but dont know where to host them. unsure.gif

Alan, it comes down to how much u REALLY like ur fish and how much u're willing to spend for fish in ur 3ft tank?

In the way of Americans, a 3ft tank could quite nicely house one pair of Nandopsis salvini (Nice pocket rocket of an American cichlid... big heart.).

Some other rarer Americans which we should try and keep:

Archocentrus spilurium (Blue eye cichldid... related to ur convicts)

Copora nicaraguansis (Parrot cichlid.... the TRUE parrot cichlid!)

Neetroplus neematopus (Neets.....aka "Poorman's tropheus".... little fish, big heart!)

Less aggressive earth eating American cichlids:

Geophagus steindachneri (Red hump earth eater.... I especially am fond of these guys.) http://www.cichlidae.com/articles/a034.html

Geophagus balzani (another nice earth eater with a big head!)

Geophagus surinamensis (Though I'm a little suspect about the fish that are labeled as such in Australia... doesn't quite look right compared to what I've seen overseas.)

Satanoperca leucosticta (Green horseface... often misidentified in Australia as S.jurupari).... Beautiful cichlid and can co-habit with other earth eaters very well.

..... then we get to the rare stuff....

Geophagus altifrons (I know of 2 variants in Australia atm).... relatively new to the country and currently quite pricey. BEAUTIFUL fish at full size....

Geophagus sp. "Pindare".... another nice fish that doesn't get as big as the altifrons.

Acarichthys heckelii (Lost to Australia for a while, but starting to show up in small numbers again.)..... May be a bit pricey when they show up atm, but very peaceful fish which IMO are definately worth the money!

GOD, I could go on.... but u get the idea.

kev

Woah, i didn't know that Blue Eyes are fairly rare around here. I was given a bunch of fry but as i dont keep Americans i used them as feeders! ohmy.gif

As for the Neets, we had some in at work, $15 each for breeding adults. They generated very little interest sad.gif

Both are very nice fish imo, some of my fav Americans wink.gif

I'm not entierly sure if the ones i got were pure or not Anita. I'll ask the guy who breeds them about it and get back to you. Though the ones he owns dont look to be crossed, they look just like the ones ive seen in books/on the net etc. But im sure blue eyes have been crossed with convicts in the past though and like you i think they are very few and far between sad.gif

Does anyone know what to look for in a crossed blue eye?

Archived