Geophagus sp. 'Rio Araguaia'

Cuong

Beautiful Fish! I have 7 of these in a 6x2x2 along with a few other geos. I have had two pairs that have bred 3 or so times each but I have experienced similar problems. After a couple of days the fry seem to disappear. The fish seem to be a bit clumsy when collecting the fry after they release them into pits. I have come to the conclusion you either need to strip the fry from the parents or have the parent is a separate tank so they can release the fry with out any other fish about to harm them. I have also found that the males appear to do 90% of the mouth brooding or at least that’s the way it has been with my pairs. anyways like I said beautiful fish hope you get a few fry next time around!

It was probably 50:50 between my male and female mouth brooding, although this is the first spawn so she may dump the work onto him in the next few :p I think I'll let them do another spawn in the community tank before moving them to their own tank.

Good luck with your future spawns too and keep us updated on how you go :)

Possibly, as they don't swim around very much when they're tending to the fry. If they do swim around it's to pick up drifting fry or to chase other fish away. I think it would be alright, as long as the filtration is more than adequate and the fish are comfortable enough to breed.

I'm now thinking that maybe keeping pairs in 2' discus-like breeding tanks could be an option? You could remove the parents after the mouth-brooding period. Although should it be bare-bottom or is sand necessary with raising fry?

Personally I'm not a fan of bare bottom tanks! :no: But I can't see why you couldn't raise fry in one! I'm getting 2x2x18" tanks for any future parents. I think that should be good. They can also be fry grow out tanks!! Now I just need to convince the wife! :lol3::thumbup:

What a cool aquascape. Reminds me of that one by Filipe Oliveria. I think it was called "Across the River".

• 4 months later...

G'day Cuong,

If i may ask, how did you do the background for your tank, evident in your full tank shot on page 1 of this thread?

The blended colours are really effective. How did you create this???

Awesome tank,

KimO.

I've dug up this old thread to update with a photo of the next generation to complete the circle of things.

IPB Image

Congratulations Cuong.

This is the first time I've read this thread, so I have a couple of questions. I set up my first tank a couple of months ago with six G. araguaia sp. 'orange head'. Though my tank is massively stocked compared to yours.

How large have your geos grown?

I was under the impression that they didn't get much larger than 16 centimeters.

My geos seem to be darker than yours as well. Does the shade of substrate influence the base coulour of geos? I have fine river gravel instead of sand.

Again congratulatios.

I wish min would stop eating their eggs.

Peter

Cheers everyone.

Yeah all of mine average around 14-16cm with the largest one being around 18cm without the fin trailers/streamers. I still think they're growing though, as they're definitely getting higher in the body shape and probably longer too but alot slower. The parents of the original ones would have been around 20cm and the adults I have currently were slightly hindered growth wise when they were smaller with not so optimal conditions. So I think pushing 20cm would be fairly easy.

I've only kept mine in tanks with a bare bottom or pool filter sand under some fairly white (10000K) lighting so I guess that's the main reason they're lighter looking than yours. Considering that most/all of the Araguaias came from a single source up here I would say that the differences are likely to be environmental.

Goodluck with your spawns Peter! They sound either still slightly immature or feel too pressured by the others in the tank. With the 6' the pair usually guard half the tank and keep the others pinned to one side of the tank. I'm sure you'll get it right and find out what works for you in time.

great specimens mate. I had the good fortune to see a colony of geos in the flesh when I dropped of some fry the other day. I can't believe how big and beautiful they are!! Certainly a variant I would love to get into down the track.

cheers

shane

Archived