Geophagus sp. 'Rio Araguaia'

Cuong

Just an update on my favourite colony of which some of you may remember from this thread

http://www.aceforums.com.au/index.php?show...mp;hl=geophagus

Just under a year later, the little tackers are now pushing 20cm and are now showing really spectactular colourations and fin extentions. They're not quite fully mature yet (probably another 6 more months and 3-4 more centimetres) but hopefully these guys will breed in the near future. There's alot of shimmying and displaying after waterchanges but so far I don't think any of the females are interested.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Thanks for taking a peep,

Cuong

They really are great fish to keep. The colony has lots of personality and some decent colours to go along with it. They're in a 6x2x2.7ish tank (around 225 gallons or 850L) with a whole bunch of cories, whiptails and plecos. It's filtered by an Eheim 2028, 2228 and more recently a Fluval FX5 aswell.

If you happen to remember this thread, these are the same fish in this shot. Just taken 4-5 months ago when only a single fish had the dominant colouration.

IPB Image

If you'd like I'll try and take a more recent picture later tonight when the lights come on.

:clap:clap Awesome fish and spectacular setup. Love the colors! I can't wait for mine to grow up. That's a huge growth rate though. I have had mind for about 4 months but I don't think I can achieve that growth rate. Did you feed them twice a day? What was your regime? I guess mine are with two large heckelli, 9 juvenile heckelli and 5 orange heads and 6 clown loaches!! :lol2:

These guys eat like pigs and I try feeding them whenever I can. Usually they'll beg at the front of the tank which signals that I should feed them again. I think their growth rate can be attributed to the basics of lots of feedings of high protein foods and at least weekly water changes.

lots of feedings of high protein foods

Do you mean live worms and the like or pellet food? I found that my fish didn't like the earthworms much. Tried it twice but they just hung around and got into my filters! :lol2: They did nibble at some but left the majority of them alone! I didn't use huge worms or cut them up. They were like the juvenile tiger worms or whatever they are called! :dntknw:

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys! :)

All of the eggs hatched and were collected in the parent's mouths. A day later the parents deposited and defended them in a sand pit when the lights were on. Unfortunately this meant that when the lights were turned off they couldn't recollect all of them so approximately 10 or so were left out each night. This happened over a few nights until they were all gone :( Fortunately there is another pair cleaning the same rock :)

Archived