Water Change Storage

Neil

My shed is nearing completion before the concrete roof is poured I'm cutting in beside the concrete blockwall / 3500 litre tank,and creating area for water storage a metre higher than the shed floor .I have a 500 litre rainwater tank which I can fit in. How much more water storage is needed for 5-6000 litre system? At the moment it is 1metre wide 1.5 long 1.2 high. I can extend up to 4metre long.(more digging)The concrete slab roof will extend onto the grass and then I will try to grow grass on the roof of the shed.

Also is there any reason why a 3.6 long x 1 wide x 1.2 deep tank need be above floor level a 6"slab apart from syphoning.

Neil

smile.gifunsure.gifcool.gif

check my website for pics

My Webpage

Neil,

If I were in your position in calculating how large a volume I wanted as water change storage area, I would take on board the usual 1/3 amount of water change. Personally I do much larger water changes than this.

I realise with multiple tanks one doesn’t have to do the entire lot in a water change, but as a rule of thumb I would look at having at least 1/3 the total water volume as a water change storage area. That’ll mean around 2000 litres. All things considered, it will make life easier for you, and if you don’t use it all in one hit, you can use it next time. There’s a guy out Parramatta way that sells plastic 1000 litre containers for around $125-150.00.

As to your second question, ponds are not above ground level, the only disadvantage I could see is you will lose front on viewing if part of the tank is below ground level.

Craig

Archived