My new possesion.

D6C1

Yeah, really cute!! Is it eating on it's own?

Looks like a little girl there. Girls have mottled rump & tail feathers and boys plain grey tail feathers (amongst other telltale signs like the cheeks). I think by now the yellow cheeks would have been showing anyway if it was a boy.

Keep us updated in the coming weeks anyway.

One more mouth to feed. haha

regards,

Dave

I hope its not a girl :p I like boys better... *ahm*

Hes very vocal allready. I put him next to my tank and he goes nuts attacking the fish.. and squacking. If I leave him alone in his cage, he starts to make a bit of noise

Hes not eating seed yet, but I got a seed bowl for him.... (or her). Im going to start weaning him soon.

He can barely stand up on his own, but from time to time I bust him on his perch and he jumps off when I come around :p

More pics and update to follow!

Ah thats awesome toufic! What are you feeding it at the moment?

The ones we hand raise at work we feed roudybush until they are confident on the seed! Give them some millet spray too. They'll love that. As well as some corn, apple, carrot. That kinda thing.

I'd say its way too early to sex. You'd have to wait a while before you'd get a definate one, sometimes they'll change colour quite suddenly and sex up good.

Males are much more vocal that females generally. We sold a hand raised cockateil today at work, it was my sidekick. Its name was nibbles, it was a really awesome bird!

Let us know how you go with it mate, if you need any help i can give you some tips!

The bird looks fantastic. We have two of these guys here that are currently harrassing me whilst I t6ype.

PS What was that hairy thing in the last photo :p

Merry Christams

Thanks guys.. That me Matt. The bird will have a lot he can preen ;-)

Im feeding him the handraising mix I got from a bird shop. Used it before. They absolutly love it. Smells good too! :yes:

Ive hand raised alexandrine parrots before which I kept for 4.5 years with constant neighbours complaining about noise that it got to a point, where too many parties where involved and I had to move them on. Long story. People are just !#$)*

Today hes sitting on my shoulder. Its amazing how hes developing. He can confidently and strongly stand up and stay up! I've just got to wean him on seed bit by bit. Thats always the fun bit! LOL. For my previous birds, I'd sit there showing them how to crack the seed and eventually they got it. The hardest bit was getting them to drink water. I ended up dunking their head in water a few times, and then they caught on :p

I've got some millet spray for him and seed in the cage, he hasnt touched them though.. I'll give him some more time, but in a couple of weeks or so, he should be fully on seed and solids.

• 1 month later...

Thats so cute.

I used to have a pair of hand riased alexandrines.. but too noisy and yeah.. let one thing to another with the council.. long story..

This guy is dumb compared to them.. I think its turning out to be a male.. hes very noisy!

How old is urs?

congrats on your new addition , he is cute !

this is my Archie ( a eclectus) he is so naughty at times at least tiels dont make too much mess !

IPB Image

Hi Matthew at least they allow you to type my ecky likes nothing more then trying to bite my fingers when i type :lol2:

Are cockatiels aggressive birds, my old man has a pair and they used to attack eachother all the time whenever he let them out to fly around the house (they were kept in seperate cages next to eachother), when he got 1 bigger cage as opposed to two and put them together they havent fought since in or out of the cage.

Also his boy talks and mimics every sound but the girl doesnt at all is that normal?

Just curious because i was thinking of getting my mrs one for her birthday and want one that will talk and whistle

you cant tell at such a young age. They are not aggresive, but they will try to get the upper hand. .good training and handling will take care of that

Mine tries to be fiesty. But a firm NO and if hes naughty back to his cage will teach him..

Males are the noisy ones, females are not good at sounds etc.. Males get the yellow in the face, and the females don't.

Do a search online and you will see the difference in the males and the females.

I hope mine turns out to be a male. I absolutely love the yellow in the face!!

I hope its not a girl :p I like boys better... *ahm*

ROFL nice one haha

Awesome pics, soo cute, reminds me of when my wee ones were that young, so cute!

look forward to the updates :)

Archived