Ammonia Spike!

illusn8

If you are getting worried, add some extra filtration (with old established media). example if necessary, use some old gravel as filter media (from another established tank) either in a canister or an aquaclear 500. You can also water change adding old established water if possible.

In extreme cases I have attached a short hose onto a powerhead, put the powerhead into a bucket and then filled the bucket (and powerhead) with old gravel. Just a bigger version of a box airfilter. The key is more established bacteria to reduce ammonia and the resulting nitrite until all the new media and new tank surfaces/new gravel get colonised. On really large tanks/above ground pools I turn these bucket filters into overhead trickles by drilling the bottom of the bucket and suspening the bucket above water. Trickles just being more efficient converters.

Stop feeding and you can add salt to thicken fish slime coats if you see a lot of red occuring on fins and tail. Salt not advisable if you have soft water fish obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally my Ammonia problem is fixed. The water is crystal clear....thanks heaps for all replies :thumbup:

Any idea what the problem was?

I think there wasn't enough surface area for the beneficial bacteria to colonise and large water changes didn't help it neither....

Archived