Scarlet Badis (Dario dario)

Rod54

These have been available before in Aust. They're technically a labyrinth fish, bubble nester and breed somewhat like parosphromenus (licorice gourami). They're tiny and will start breeding at 1.5cm. Males are red, females are a little bit more drab with little red dots.

Give them a coconut cave or a small pot with a small opening and the male should take residence there.

This fish is somewhere between an apistogramma and a betta.

Price is a little bit higher than what they were going for previously, but great fish nonetheless.

They're technically a labyrinth fish, bubble nester and breed somewhat like parosphromenus (licorice gourami).

Thanks...I thought they breed in caves like Badis badis and apisto's???

They are in Brisbane tap water at the moment but I intend to add 50% rainwater

I understand they like soft water,neutral ph,planted tank with sand substrate?

Would a Terminalia catappa leaf help get them in the mood?

Cheap at twice the price if you ask me... :lol3:

Yes, they are a cave bubble nester. They will find a cave and blow bubbles in it where the male will then tend to the eggs like a bubble nesting betta or parosphromenus sp.

U should breed this fish as it is not regularly available and definately not on the allowable import list.

Thanks for the info!

I haven't been able to get as much information on the web as you've given me in your 2 posts.

Obviously a coconut cave will be the best to hold the bubblenest.

Definately going to do my best to get them to breed.

Thanks again!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Turned out they breeding couple were 2 males...

I'm having a lot of trouble finding females.....I now have 9 fish

I buy the fish with the least colour....get them home and within a week they are bright red.

I have 2 males that don't have any blue strips and are all red???

I also found a German site with photos of both sexes and females have very slight hint of red strips but clear fins

Hi Malcolm....I'm feeding mine microworms,mossie larva....I think they will only take Live food

Have you got any left....particularly females!

I'd really like to breed them!

G'day Rod,

I'm a bit worried about my female, she's thin, so I'll try some live food.

There's about six fish left in the shop. they're all red, but there's a slight difference in shape.

Regards,

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

Look after that female!! Is your male giving her a hard time??

Mine are now taking large mossie larva and blood worms....quite surprising what they can fit in their mouth for such a small fish.

From what I been able to find females have very little colour....particularly in their fins.

I bought another 2.....with no colour....but I've got another 6 males that had no colour when I bought them???

Apparently they don't breed in caves but spawn in plants...that's the difference between Dario's and Badis

Spectacular little fish....found in the wild with zebra danios!!

Regards....Rod

• 1 month later...

Archived