Shell dwellers

Rumpig

Ok, as I'm sure those of you who know me are aware I am a huge fan of shellies, so it'd come as no suprise that'd I'd be googling them.

What will suprise you is that I am turning to the malawi fans for advice!

I found this: "The Malawi species, which may comprise several species but as yet only Pseudotropheus lanisticola is certain, one of the smallest mbuna in Lake Malawi at a bare 7cm." on Shell dweller fish

Has anyone heard of these fish or had any experience with them?

Are they in Aus?

Cheers

Mick

I have kept them before, a very nice little fish. Beautiful pearly colours with some yellows in the mouth. They are not like a tanganyikan shelldweller in that they spend most of their time in the shells. They are just a mouthbrooding mbuna that will hide in shells if they feel threatened.

Bruce

Pseudotropheus lanisticola >> they are in aus.. ive got two for sale

though they grow bigger than 7cm... look up the species on cichlidforum.com

they also go by other names after i was looking researching over the net.

G'day Mick

Not sure about availability of 'lanisticola' but there are definately Ps. livingstonii around.

Really pretty fish but alot more subtle colours that some of the more dynamic mbuna. And they definately get bigger than 7cm, but seemed to me to be fairly placid for mbuna.

Here's a pic :thumb (He's in the middle)

IPB Image

I'm assuming that's a boy John? What do the girls look like?

My memory could be playing tricks but the girls fairly similar but not as vibrant. Although vibrant would never have been used to describe the boys when they lived beside my demasoni tank :lol3: . Certainly not, IMO, as 'boring' as alot of more sought after mbuna females.

Unfortunately I don't have a pic of a female that I can find. I am sure someone could get one, There should be plenty more around now than there was when I got them.

the female looks nearly identical to the male, but more yellow in the fins.. and not as big in the body.. abit slimmer around the face.

i just saw them yesterday doing there dance and now the female is holding for the first time, my sister called me over to the tank saying they were doing something in the display tank.. and they was half way thru.. so yer.. hahaha YAY!!!!

so interesting how they shake and stuff.. first time my cichlids have spawned and these werent even the ones i wanted to breed! haha

btw. not for sale anymore..(well not at this point in time)

Archived