Desktop aquarium question

lucifuge

Personally i think the Aqua one is a better unit. Better quality plastic, slightly better design. I would have more faith in a aqua one pump / built in filter than i would the jebo.

Depending on the price difference, i would go Aqua One

Personally i think the Aqua one is a better unit. Better quality plastic, slightly better design. I would have more faith in a aqua one pump / built in filter than i would the jebo.

Depending on the price difference, i would go Aqua One

Thanks Huzzy

p.s. I like your hat LOL

I have an aqua one on my desk, Its a great sutup, had it for about 6 months now and only one hickup, got home one afternoon and the pump wasnt working, just pulled the power out and pluged it back in and off she went, They have a slot to fit a small heater in them too from the lid o f the tank which i like so only the glass tube it in the water.

Only problem with these enclosed tanks is depending on the amount of fish you keep in there the filter elemnts dirty up quickly and you cant clean the first element (the wollen one) refills are $15 for two so you could see yourself at your lfs quite regularly.

Im keeping 3 Fronnies in mine and i go through a filter element about every 6 weeks

I thought I should mention that I seen in Big W, that they sell some small all-in-one tanks. I have a similar one purchased elsewhere and it works great.

I love the idea that the pump, air pump and light work off one plug.

Only downside is the lights tend to burn out after 3 months (flurescent ones) and there is no option to add a light timer. But the replacement tubes are cheap from bunnings.

I also got an aqua pro, and it's good too, but it's sadly not an all in one type.

Rob

I would go the aqua one my self, my g/f has a salt water reef tank setup with an AR380, which is the 36L, onemodel up from the one ur intending. So far i have ripped out all the orginal filter media that came with it, what i use now is as much matrix u can fit into the system, half a bag of BioChem zorb, and a layer of filter wool. No problems with this setup so far and i would think for FW it would be fine aswell.

As for the orginal filter cartidge, that has the wool and carbon in it, u don't need to keep buying orginals, if u want to run carbon just put some in a stocking and just use filter wool cut to size, this way its much cheap and if u buy a large bag of filter wool for 12buck max from ur LFS, it would literally last u about a year if not more.

Vukie, do u have a bigger tank for those fronnies? the reason i ask this for that size tank the (AR126 22L right?) i wouldn't in my dreams or wildest thoughts keep 3 5-6cmfronnies that size tank if any fronny. The reason for this when full grown one adult fronny would big large in lenght then ur tank, by any fronny in that size tank u will only stunt them, 3 fronnies needs at least a 5x2x2 to life comfortably. But if u have a larger tank ready for them then please disregard this post. sorry if this sound rude, and please don't take it as a flameing but rather an advice. If u plan to keep them long term in that tank than i would really advise u to sell the fronnies and trade for a pair of rams or a couple of shell dwellers that are more suited to that size tank IMHO.

Cheers

Astric

Hey Astric,

Yeah i have a 4 footer aswell, this is my grow out tank, at the moment i think they are just a little too small to go into the 4 footer, i trialed the largest male in that picture but he just got picked on by the other fronnie which is a 12cm male. Im hoping if i put all 3 in together at the same time they will be ok, im sure one of them is a female and one is a male but not sure on the sex of the third, im hopeing with a few females in there the large one wont be so aggresive.

eventuall once they are big enough that i can determine their sex ill sell of the males i have and just keep one with 3 females in the 4 footer

So what to people usually populate these things with?

I might be getting one off a relo for nothing soon & I'm thinking of making it a nano-reef. I think it's a ~35l version though & I'm unsure of the brand (the hood & trims are green if that helps)

What's yours planned to be lucifuge?

You might also want to consider the Orca/JBL ones aswell which come in 25, 35 and 80L versions. I recently picked up the 80L for the ladyfriend and the wet dry filtration system on those things is pretty nice. Very easy to retro fit the lighting aswell (just replaced the single 24W CF with two 36W CFs), however the downside is it doesn't come with enough filter media. But as suggested before you can just jam pack it with matrix and other media goodies.

Yup Orca/JBL is pretty good, i have a orca 35L for my self and an aquaone AR380 for girlfriend because it came in purple lol. First thinng i would suggest to do is retro fit ur own media to some top quality stuff, if ur doing marine nano i would also add a small power head to help with circulation. Down side to this little tank though would be it does generate a bit of heat and keep the temp down needs to be considered. HTH

Cheers

Astric

Archived