Who has used shells from the beach

catcher

G'day all,

I've come across a significant pile of various shells, they were from a beach excavation down the coast.

It was done fairly reciently, so, I've been rinsing and soaking in fresh water for a few days now and did the "taste" test, no salt detectable.

The question is, is there any reason why these wouldn't be safe to put in the tank now?

Cheers

Glenn

G'day all,

I've come across a significant pile of various shells, they were from a beach excavation down the coast.

It was done fairly reciently, so, I've been rinsing and soaking in fresh water for a few days now and did the "taste" test, no salt detectable.

The question is, is there any reason why these wouldn't be safe to put in the tank now?

Cheers

Glenn

who cares if there is salt in your shells? I ADD salt to my water :D

Cheers

Richard

G'day all,

Cheers

Glenn

who cares if there is salt in your shells? I ADD salt to my water :D

Cheers

Richard

Yes, fair call Richard.

I was also interested if anyone has used shells as a complete substrate, any reasons why I shouldn't. I'm really keen to do it as the colours in these shells are brilliant.

Cheers

Glenn

Has been done before, depends on the fish, if the shells are too large for them to "dig" in or move around its a bit unfair, otherwise I have known folks to crush shells up (oyster leases are a good source) and put them in stockings or onion bags to use a buffering tools as the calcium carbonate breaks down.....should be fine :thumbup:

Brett

Well I've put nearly all the shells in after a water change and clean today. I'll post pictures once the water clears.

Thanks to those that responded

glenn

Archived