Seachem salts & buffers & reactive substrates

MoliroMan

Nigel: do you have any links to that Seachem info...I have used buffers (Seachem) in my tanks and haven't noticed anything bazaar....always happy to learn new things :)

Andrea you are the first offender :p

i think all is ok with limestone rocks and seachem buffers! I have had no untoward effects. It may however affect how much buffer u will require so all u need to do is check your kH with your individual setups.

PS> Nigel: do you have any links to that Seachem info...I have used buffers (Seachem) in my tanks and haven't noticed anything bazaar....always happy to learn new things

It was information that was supplied to me by Seachem when I first started using there buffers. They advised against using any reactive substrate, as limestone is reactive the same would apply in my opinion.

When using these it does destabilize the KH that in turn does the same to the PH. Also you need to use more of the buffer to maintain a stable KH. I found this out by experience when I first started using water additives.

Cheers Nigel...never found it be a problem. I don't use buffers now as the rock and substrate does the trick. I've been told that having the hardness up higher than 12 or so promotes more aggression as the fish colour up more. I don't want to deal with that sad.gif

Andrea smile.gif

Archived