Salt

hungsta

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has a general rule of adding salt to their aquarium for treating diseases and stuff....

To be more specific, i'm currently treating my tank with whitespot medication and have raised the temperature to 30C. The only thing left is the salt?

Any reccomendations.

Hung

depends on what fish you got in there and what size tank mate.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has a general rule of adding salt to their aquarium for treating diseases and stuff....

To be more specific, i'm currently treating my tank with whitespot medication and have raised the temperature to 30C. The only thing left is the salt?

Any reccomendations.

Hung

Go to woolies and get cooking salt. Cooking salt is $1 per 2kg and has no anti-caking agents in it, purely sea salt.

In a 4fter, i would go with a couple of handfuls of salt. I usually add 2 or 3 handfuls when I do water changes on 6x2x2.

I have used before with the anti-caking agents before and didnt have any drastic consequences. I only started using the cooking salt (Sea salt) after seeing the reported ingredient was only "Sea salt".

Just as cheap and effective.

For white spot, bump your temperature to 32degrees. White spot cant survive above 30degrees, add the salt and every 2 or 3 days do a water change. I would say to repeat for a couple of weeks or even 3 after you saw the white spot gone or non existant.

At such temperature, you'd want to airate the tank more. Put in a couple of air pump to increase your oxygen levels.

Good luck mate. White spot is terrible.

Have a read of this website.

http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/disease/whitespot.htm

At 7oC the life cycle will take six weeks, whereas at 25oC it will be complete in a week.

* An alternative treatment is prolonged salt immersion at 1-2 ppt (parts per thousand), i.e. 1-2 grams per litre

Yeah Mate,,Toufic is right I aggree with him 100% Me ,I am not using any medication just do30% water change every 2days while vaccuming your gravel bed thoroughly and rasied your water Temp.30c Try to do this for a week and you'll see the difference, It works for me But mine I used a SeaChem Cichlids Salt. They are quite expensive but its worth it.It got all the minerals they need. good luck...Matey

Archived