need sugestions on filtration

j.c fishfan

would somebody be able to help me choose what type of filtration i should get??

It is for a fair few tanks and if i had a program that i could draw a diagram i would(paint has disappeared somewhere?? so any other program you could reccommend would be great)some of them will be put on shelves in the garage and others will be put on racks.if we cannot figure out a good filtration system well then we may just have to goo the HOB's and submergibles.but we also have a lack of powerpoints in the shed so we have to use as least powerpoints as we can because there are only 2 powerpoints.

any help would be appreciated.

jamie :)

Sponge filters?

With out Knowing what size tanks and how many it would be hard to give serious opinions on what filters would suit your needs

Josh

i have considered a sump but it would be a bit hard to link all the tanks as most of them will be next to each other.

but will sponge filters be ok if there are colonys of fish in there?

and how much would an airpump cost to run all those filters??

thanks

Im guessing a few hundred dollars at the least ...

I reckon all up your looking a a few thousand bucks to get everything you need ..

A sump shouldnt be that hard to do if you did some research ...

:shock: well then i may have to find another way of filtering the tanks as a sump would not be an option as they are not all going to be on the same rack.

what would that few 1000 dollars consist of??

thanks for your help

The tanks would cost heaps, the filtration system would cost a fair bit, plus fish, gravel, heaters, stands etc ... :)

Ok cool

well i have all the stands i need,i have a fair few fish that i will be putting in there,got a fair few heaters already and i have tonnes of gravel so that will help reduce the cost of things.

sandy001 how do you connect the other airpump for a backup??

and if i may ask how much does your electricity bill come in??(you can pm me if you want) just so my dad knows what he'll be paying as he is into the hobby aswell :lol3:

thanks

(sandy001 how do you connect the other airpump for a backup?? )

Other pump is not connected I just have it handy so I can replace faulty pump until it is repaired.

My electricity has gone up about $500 a quarter over winter & about $300 over a quarter for the rest of the year.

Dave

Ouch must let dad know before we do that.

but i doubt we'll have all those tanks up and running at the same time so it should be ok.

and these filter your tanks fine??how often do you have to do water changes and what fish do you keep in there??

thanks

Hey Jamie ur plan sounds awsome :) wish my dad did the same for me, u luck boy u :) , well i would say the electricity will be a pain in the buM as having that many tank running and that many heater it will be a fair bit :( at my house this winter the bill for the quater doubled last years same period as this year i have more tank running, but the good thing is my mum didn't suspect the fish tank on causing the rise lol

Be sure to post some pic of this cool project of urs when its up and going :)

Cheers

Astric

Hi sandy001,

Do you use just sponges and no biological media like ceramic tiles etc?

And also how often do you clean each sponge?

Sounds like a cheaper option...but maintenance might have to be more regular...

Hung

side drops are a good air driven option - you could get a glazier to cut the glass to size & silicone it in yourself.

much better than sponges but it takes up more tank space.

with heating - having them plumbed together via a sump lets you run central heaters - useful if you can't heat the room.

Ideally if you can heat the room & use some kind of air driven filtration, that's the cheapest option.

In my situation when I get my small rack setup shortly, I'll be linking it to 3 existing tanks & making a large sump - as I can't afford to make an enclosed fishroom & it's easier maintanence & heating wise.

Hi Hungsta & j.c

In all my fry rearing tanks I only use sponge filters tank sizes range from standard 2 ftrs to 30"x18'x18". I use 2 of the largest sponges available from AOA in each tank. In my larger tanks I can have up to 100 5-6 cm fry. On these tanks I do 30 % water changes weekly & clean (squeeze in a bucket of tank water) sponges fortnightly. Tanks with smaller fish water changes fortnightly & sponges cleaned monthly.

My breeding tanks 4 x 48"x18"x18" are filtered by one 24"x18"x18" baffle sump.

I keep & breed Peacocks, Mbuna & Protomelas.

Cheers

Dave

hey ash can you please explain to me what this side drop thing is??

is that how you have a tank and you have large peices of glass divideing them which slowly get smaller and in the last tank it has an intake pipe and it just goes back upto the top tank and keeps flowing down??

thanks

Archived