Which Canister Filter?

batche81

I've had my Via Aqua (1200L per hour) filter running solid for years (about 8). Never had to replace a thing on it, but I'm thinking the impeller might be due. It still pumps hard, just getting a little noisy.

I bought it from Auburn Aquariums when my Hydor (or Hydro) died after 12 months. Perfectly timed right when the warranty expired.

It's been the longest running thing I have in my setup. That includes the tank, 4 heaters, air pumps, etc.

pipsqeek

thats dirt cheap, cheapest i've seen in a retail shop is $120

I think this again comes down to what particular make of the CF-1200 you are talking about:

• Aqua Pro is the cheapest, cost me $60 to get mine from AoA earlier in the year.
  • Aqua Nova seems to next in line, though the best online price I found was $120 (I'm sure you can find it cheaper). This is the same design as the Aqua Pro model, though apparently comes from a different factory.
  • Aqua One is the most expensive and longest established option, The Reef Shop currently has it for $120.

Power consumption is also different between the three, Aqua One uses 22W, Aqua Pro uses 30W and I believe the Aqua Nova fits somewhere in the middle...

I have a aqua one cf1200 on a 4ft tank and it does an awesome job at keeping the water clear and is totally silent. paid 115 at local fish shop. i did fill it with extra media and coral sand for buffering as i thought the media supplied out of the box was pretty average.

IMHO, I recommebd a 2217.

I have a Pro Aqua CF-1200 [$60] and a Eheim 2217 [$250, can get them cheaper now] on a 4'x14"x20" and have been running this setup for the past six months. Personally, I much prefer the 2217 to the 1200.

The 1200 is noisier [it's not very noisy, but comparing to something that's virtually silent], poorer build quality and filters far less efficiently than the 2217. Considering the price I paid, I'm not suprised or really concerned, given it's current use. You can muck around to improve the efficiency, but at the end of the day, the 1200 is still an el-cheapo canister.

Eheims as far as I know come complete with media [Ceramic rings, coarse sponge, sintered quartz, quite costly if bought seperately], whereas most cheap units do not. And even so, the quality of the media is limited considering companies can't afford to give things away.

In terms of longevity, I cant say for the 1200 as it's about a year old but my Uncle has a 2215 that's so far lasted about 20 years, originally running marine, now african.

I still use my 1200 as mechanical filtration to catch big bits [also a little bio filtration], in tandem with my 2217. But, for a single filter application, the Eheim is much better.

Actually had the tank running solely on the 2217 for 2 weeks and it stayed nice and clear, whereas when I first had this tank going on just the 1200, it was always foggy with the chemistry being considered acceptable. Everything cleared up quick sticks with the 2217 and chem was excellent.

I'm just saying, If you can afford the one off for the 2217, or even a 2215, it's worth it.

Hi guys, as the title saids i want to buy a new external canister filter and i'm not shore what to get. I want to spend around 150 and i don't want a aqua 1 or Pro aqua Brand.

I've been leaning towards a Sacem Marathon 2000, does anyone have this type and are they any good??

Suggestions please...

PS the tank is 4x1.5x1.5

What are you guys been talkin about "batche81" here his on budget he want to spend $150.so forget about Ehiem $$$$. what he needs a cheaper Canister can do the same job as Ehiem$$$.I know i am using a cheaper canister here but i dont care, as long they do what we intended them to do.I have used Eheim pro Subtrats for BIOLOGICAL on my canister all medias are fill. These is the same stuff you've use on your Eheim Canister isnt it?I've use them because i heard about them and it works on my non Eheim Canister.

and the good thing is I got 2 for the price of one. 1 for BIO and 1 for MECH/CHEM. i have no regrets..$$$

You will also note that the costs isn't his only consideration, he doesn't want the likes of Aqua One / Pro Aqua etc...

We have given him a variety of opinions and experiences from using various filters and he's made a decision to spend a little more and get the Eheim.

I've got a Aqua Pro CF-1200 and I'm happy with it, it cost $60 to buy but I then added another $60 on adding quality media making it a $120 filter. I don't think any one can say that the quality nor quantity of media supplied by these cheaper brands is up to scratch, in fact, the only thing I used from my box was the foam.

for all the "Aqua" brands i'd go with the aqua one. pay abit more for the mid range brand.

when comparing with the other top brand... i'd go with the FX5 instead of eheim... there was a comparison done by a former member on this forum sometime ago comparing these two models... basically saying that eheim done better in terms of filtration but the the price paid the FX5 was far better for the value.

The FX5 flow rate is 3500l/hr and filter volume is 20L, 2217 is 1000l/hr with 6L volume. I'm not saying that the FX5 is not a good filter, in fact I was thinking that it would be good for my next tank (if it ever happens...).

But, for a tank with a volume of 250L I believe the FX5 is way over the top!

A happy medium might be the Aqua One AQUIS 2200 (http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod1109.htm). Comes complete with media (not sure on quality), twice the output of the 2217 and three times the volume, plus it's only about $30 more. Of course this is back into the Aqua One range, but this model is obviously a completely different design to the early models you are likely to have used before batch81.

I understand the reasons for discriminating against:

* Eheim: higher initial investment

* Aqua One/etc: perceived lower build quality and longevity

However, I do side with the folks who are in favour of suggesting the Aqua One/etc ones because even over the past few years the quality has increased dramatically.

I had a batch of Jebo cannisters back in '03 and they're all dead or sidelined now because of impeller problems (the replacement impeller set provided with it didn't fit for a start, but it was nice to receive a full set of o-rings in the standard spares kit). I would suggest strongly that those problems were maintenance related (ie I did not keep them as scrupulously internally clean as I should).

The old Eheim gear I picked up used is running, but is increasingly noisy. Again, it's owing to poor maintenence on the part of the former (a relative) and current owner. That said, almost everyone I know swears by (not at) Eheim if they can afford it.

However, the new Aqua Nova 1500 and 1200 (2 of each) that I have bought are great aside from the lack of media when they're supplied. They work well, are very easy to clean, very easy to prime, etc. I can't fault them. Oldest one is about two years old and is packed with coarse black foam, fine filter floss, bioballs and ceramic cylinders and is working a very silent treat. They show up around town for very low prices from time to time and if you buy from the LFS who loves you then there's generally no quibble if something is DOA or fails quickly.

If in doubt, meet up with your mates from the forums and check out their hardware and see if you're happy about noise, frank performance reviews and the like and then make a decision which your wallet can take without too much pain.

Cheers - OziOscar.

Archived