Which Canister Filter?

batche81

Hi guys, as the title saids i want to buy a new external canister filter and i'm not shore what to get. I want to spend around 150 and i don't want a aqua 1 or Pro aqua Brand.

I've been leaning towards a Sacem Marathon 2000, does anyone have this type and are they any good??

Suggestions please...

PS the tank is 4x1.5x1.5

What sized tank are you looking at filtering?

Although you've said you don't want Aqua One / Pro Aqua I can say they would probably both do the job for you, Aqua Nova and Aqua Pro are other "budget" options. If you are worried about quality, Aqua One is top notch these day and they others are more than good enough.

I use a Aqua Pro CF-1200 for bio-filtration on my Tropheus tank, along with an Eheim 2213 and 2217, together they do a fantastic job. There was a problem with the CF-1200 developing a noisey impellar not long after getting going, but this was simply fixed with a replacement.

Ben from AoA (forum sponsor) is selling the Aqua Nova CF-1500 (http://www.fluval.com.au/prod1479.htm) for a steal at the moment. His service is top notch and delivery is super quick. At almost half the price of the Marathon it's something to think about...

I have tried many canisters over the years. The hype around Eheim is real. I have had troubles with every canister I've had except for Eheim. They are magic. I would get an Eheim 2217. Does 1000l/h and you could get one for about $220.

Jamie.

As Jamie says, if your budget can handle it definately stretch out for the Eheim - as you can tell from my above example I am a fan! If budget is cannot be stretched, I would not hessitate with the Aqua Nova CF-1500.

Having said that, other than the problem I had with the noisey impeller I am happy with the CF-1200. I have it filled with media which was bought seperate to the filter as I believe this is where most of the cheaper filter options are let down...

Thanks guys i'll spend abit more and go with the Ehiem (the poor man always buys twice). I've had a pro aqua and aqua1 canister before and had problems with both.. Is the Eheim 2217 ok for my tank 4x1.5x1.5 with about 12 8-14cm fish??

I would say that it would be plenty - your tank holds about 240 litres according to my calculations and this filter turns over 1000L/hr, approx. 4 times volume.

More filtration never hurts, but with the stocks you currently have it should cope well. If you find things aren't up to scratch if you add mor fish or they start to grow (eg. ammonia spikes) add an AquaClear HOB filter for mechanical filtration and fill the 2217 up with bio media and you'll be laughing!

Go the Eheim, I recently took the plunge and got one and i never regret getting it :) iv only had it for about 2.5months and its due for its first cleaning soon, but just from putting it together i can already see thats its going to be a breeze to do compared to my aqua pro cf1500. You wont be dissapointed with the 2217. If ur worried u can always ad a internal filter or as spedwards suggest a hob although i have never used one my self I have heard ppl say great things about them :) , i do use a internal filter and it does the job but a pain in the buM to maintain as it gets dirty quite easily.

Cheers

Astric

But how will the Resun be running in 10 years time? My 2213 was bought in 1996 and apart from a new O-ring and impeller assembly it's still kicking.

All, and I mean all, of the non-Eheim canisters I have ever purchased (except the current CF-1200), including Fluvals and various other cheap options, have all failed on me or broken easily.

If your Resun is still going in 10 years time then I'll stand corrected, but I know for sure that by paying the Eheim premium you are going to get a filter that will likely outlast 5 cheaper filters...

All i use on all my tanks is aqua1's and i have never had a problem with noise, water quality or cleaning, It takes me all of 15 minutes to set one up from scratch and install it ready to go, and the oldest one is around 3 years old and has never had a drama, have also had cheap heaters that are now over 10 years old and working fine, price and hype isnt everything see what works for you but at this rate an eheim filter or heater would need to last for around 20-30 years to be better value than the aqua1's ive purchased so im happy with my decision.

AoA had them for $60 a few months ago, that's when I got mine ;) Ben currently has the CF-1000 for $50.

Like I said, I'm happy with my CF-1200 filter, but I know that my Eheims will run forever and they just feel better built. They also seem to use a fair lot less power (20W for a 2217 and 30W for a CF-1000, nb. both 1000 l/hr filters) which has to be factored into cost analysis...

I think some of you have mistaken the Aqua Pro filter for Aqua One. They are different.

I find the Aqua Pro filters noisier and its taps flimsier.

In terms of power usage, Aqua One CF1000 is rated at 20.5 Watt.

I've been running a Via Aqua filter, old model of Aqua One, for almost six years now and another Aqua One filter for almost two years. I've yet had to replace anything on these filters so far.

Whilst I have no doubts Eheim filters are good, I believe you'd get more bang for your buck with Aqua One.

Regards

William

Forgot to mention the number I quoted for the CF-1000 were for the Aqua Pro version...

Aqua One have definately turned up the heat since they first made their debut, I have been bitten with one of the early models though and it's left a bad taste.

Where's the best place to buy a eheim online ???

Try clicking on the sponsors above!!

I see the reef shop sells the 2217 for $225 with a $20 cash back, seems a good price. I'm thinking of getting one myself!!

Good Luck

Shane

Archived