Crazy fish (Butis butis)

thermofish

Gidday thermo, Rumpig here.

I've currently got two Butis butis.

They're pretty easy to keep, I've got them in a 4x18 on their own. The water is acidic and has quite a high salt content.

Give them plenty of drift wood and plants (java fern)

I feed them mosquito fish.

They aren't overly aggresive to fish the same size or larger. I'm thinking about putting some acherfish or larger rainbows in with them.

I'm not really sure what information your after.

If you've got any other questions just ask, I'm not on the net much anymore but I'll reply eventually.

Mick (Rumpig)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest rexhunt

Hi,

I had two for a awhile as I caught them buy accident while looking for feeder fish for my barras and mangrove jack.

They are a really cool fish and change colour depending on thier surroundings. Its hard to get them to eat pellet food but they eat live fish easily and they will eat anything that fits in their mouth. Dont think that because they havent eaten it during the day that it will still be there the next day!

I sold my butis butis to the LFS about a week ago as I didnt have room anymore.

If you want to know where then I will tell you! These ones are selling for about $45 each but they are full grown and are actually a breeding pair.

If you want anymore info just type butis butis into google and you get heaps of info!

• 1 month later...

Yes they will eat any live foods that fit in their mouths even if the body of the fish is the same length as theirs eek.gif

The ones i have kept in the past didnt so much as hunt their prey down but ambushed them as they swim close enough to grab..

Had 1 butis butis that always sat in the cnr of the tank head down, and as i was watching the tank one night a common jollytail decided to swim up that cnr and straight into his mouth the crazy fish didnt even move..

• 2 weeks later...

Archived