importing L046 Zebra's

adman

What is the current state with L046 and CITES ? Everywhere you look on the net you see people saying CITES II, and more than one LFS has told me the same thing. Yet go to the CITES website and have a look at the appendix, and there is no listing of any catfish, with the exception of the Mekong Giant Catfish. I know there is talk of Brazilian Government puting a stop to collection, but at this stage it does not appear to be CITES listed. Can anyone shed some light for me?

Bretto.

hi guys,new to this site but old to breeding,think i need to set all of you straight.i have been breeding zebs down in tassie for years along with a few other supposidly unbreedable plecos.its all down to persistance and thinking like a fish,fresh water,currents,fake storms created by strobing lights and built in rain system.,also a cluster of different size pipes both blocked and open let the fish have plenty of choices.commitment is the name of the game.

please dont ask for young as i am committed to one wholesaler.orange spot panaques was my last achievment but also sailfin gibbiceps in aquarium is also possible with the right set up.i personaly dont think they are worth it as $10 a fish is not worth the trouble.i dont think there is any that cant be bred as long as you are prepared to think like a fish and work out there needs.the hardest thing here in aus is getting hold of good stock.they definately cant handle even small amounts of salt in the aquarium let alone the ocean.

well theres something for nothing for you guys who want to try thier luck,happy plecing.by the way zebs go for around $250 wholesale,someone is making money.

ps.i do have some personal stock of other plecs but am after top dollar as i paid too much for the juviniles,they are all close to adults but no zebs i am afraid.they can be seen on plecofanatics or you can message me here.

cheers now.plecman...

hi again,something to keep in minde if you are thinking of paying huge dollars for zebs i think it wont be long before the price of these little beuties drops dramaticaly as they may soon have import clearance like the clown pleco,this will mean around $50 wholesale,$120 Lfs.

cheers plecman...

If you have the time go to Planetcatfish, l cant remeber the title of the article but there was a guy from Brazil on line telling us that the local Gov. had imposed bans on their capture and some locals had gone to jail over it.

Here is the article...............................................................

"Pará (06/08/06) - The IBAMA unit of Belém caught today, at 11:00 AM, 290 ornamental fishes because the seller "JN Costa - Iriri Xingu Aquarium" didn't have the paperwork needed to allow transportation of live specimens from the city of Altamira, SW Pará, 950 Km away from Belém. Among the species were tens of zebra pl*cos (Hypancistrus sp.).

According to the IBAMA staff, who were at the airport, the ornamental fishes came from Altamira and would be shipped to São Paulo (SE Brazil) to be exported then.

The zebra pl*co is one of the most sought after ornamental fishes in the world, and this species comes from the rapids of the Xingu River. This species is on the national list of the endangered/ threatened with extinction species of Brazil. The traffic/ smuggling is one of the factors contributing to the dissapearing of the zebra pl*co in its native area.

The fishes were taken to the CEPNOR (a specialized research center affiliate to IBAMA), to be identified. The seller got fined in R$ 3,000.00, based on the law number 9.605/ 1998 ("Law of Environmental Crimes"), because of the transportation of specimens from the native brazilian fauna without the needed permits.

Edson Gillet Brasil

Ibama/PA"

Even if these fish were an allowable import, as has been said many times before... "they only have 12 or so in each spawn" this not enough to reduce the market price, the prices in USA are on the up as are the prices in England

Nice article boots :thumbup:

Bit of a tangent I know but its actually nice to hear the govt. there is enforcing the ban and achieving results.

Its a shame if there is any truth in the plans to flood the Zebs ecosystem to make a dam. I have heard rumours to this effect for a while :cryblow:

Its just People are posting statements that lack in facts behind the statement they made, its easy to make statements, hard to back it up with facts.

These guys (L046) wont be on the import list soon and even if they were l cant see it dropping the price to $50 wholesale here in Australia

Its just People are posting statements that lack in facts behind the statement they made, its easy to make statements, hard to back it up with facts.

These guys (L046) wont be on the import list soon and even if they were l cant see it dropping the price to $50 wholesale here in Australia

I usually don't get involve in pleco politics, and intend not too... but i agree with you Dave the price won't be dropping down to $50AUD (or US if that makes much difference) anytime soon. I know for a fact that zebra fry are consistantly selling for $250SG(~$200AUD) in Singapore and sell like hot cakes in todays market.

tis true bootsnall there is no fact to that statement just an asumption,but if i can produce around 90 young per year out of two pairs then what do you think the accumulative affect would be if more people had the success i have had???it will hapen mate i am sure,seems there are too many disbelievers in this world.anyway it matters not to me i will stick to my little world and do my thing LOL.there must be more people out there that has it worked out surely, learn german and do some research those guys know thier stuff,also larry vires is a bit of an ace,he has some good info and does a dam good seminar if you do some searching.give it twelve months or two and i will be moving on my old o46s.

(they will be a bit slugged out by then though)i am off to save the oceans now,too many marine fish are being taken and i intend to breed some of them to do my bit there.

ps.27 successful fry is possible in one 046 spawning.

Plecman, how many Zebras have you produced to date in your Zebra factory?

What is the current state with L046 and CITES ? Everywhere you look on the net you see people saying CITES II, and more than one LFS has told me the same thing. Yet go to the CITES website and have a look at the appendix, and there is no listing of any catfish, with the exception of the Mekong Giant Catfish. I know there is talk of Brazilian Government puting a stop to collection, but at this stage it does not appear to be CITES listed. Can anyone shed some light for me?

They have not been added to CITES. As Boots pointed out, the Brazilian Government banned the export of Hypancistrus zebra.

Its a shame if there is any truth in the plans to flood the Zebs ecosystem to make a dam. I have heard rumours to this effect for a while

No rumours, the Belo Monte dam is still going ahead. This will have a drastic effect on the Rio Xingu and surrounding forest.

http://www.amazonwatch.org/amazon/BR/bmd/

I usually don't get involve in pleco politics, and intend not too... but i agree with you Dave the price won't be dropping down to $50AUD (or US if that makes much difference) anytime soon. I know for a fact that zebra fry are consistantly selling for $250SG(~$200AUD) in Singapore and sell like hot cakes in todays market.

Exactly right guys :clap

hi again,something to keep in minde if you are thinking of paying huge dollars for zebs i think it wont be long before the price of these little beuties drops dramaticaly as they may soon have import clearance like the clown pleco,this will mean around $50 wholesale,$120 Lfs.

Considering the Brazilian Governments ban on export, the fishes somewhat threatened status in the wild (overfishing and Belo Monte dam), the chances of them being added to Australia's allowable import list are pretty slim.

well theres something for nothing for you guys who want to try thier luck,happy plecing.by the way zebs go for around $250 wholesale,someone is making money.

How can there be a "wholesale" price for something that has no real legal status in Australia? The people breeding them will be making money, the people illegally importing them will also be making money, but you can't just say there's a blanket wholesale price! If I purchase some illegally imported fish for $650ea, go to all the trouble of starting a colony, raising, maturing, possible losses, food, electricity, labour...by the time I see those little black and white babies they're lookin' to be worth a couple of grand each!

Long or short is, I can charge whatever I want and an illegal importer will charge whatever he reckons the risk is worth. That might mean $500 to some people and a grand to others :lol1:

Enjoy it :thumbup:

Archived