Culprit wanted!

novafishy

I've got a problem with my 3'x2'h x 14'w heavily planted tank atm.

Everyday, there seems to leaves floating to the top of the water surface. Some fish is eating them and chewing them off and i have no idea which one!

Inhabitants consist of:

13 x medium angelfish (approx body size: 3-5cm diamater)

1 x gold barb 6cm

3 x BN 5cm

1 x Synodontis decorus 6-7cm

4 x true SAE 6cm

1 x true SAE 9cm

1 x true SAE 12cm

I suspected it was the 12cm SAE, because when i put my hand in the tank, it came up and sucked pretty hard on my arm. i thought it could seirously inflict some damage to the leaves. so i put him in a breeding trap, but the next morning, there were still more leaves at the surface!

I've spent hours watching the tank and didn't see any fish nibble on the leaves, but somehow, they are being chewed on, as there are chew marks on the leaves and bits of them float up.

All the plants are healthy, as i use ferts and have sufficient lighting.

Who do you guys think is the culprit? :angry::dntknw:

thanks

depending on the size of the leaves I'd say the BN could be the culprit - especially as it's happening at night.

just a stab in the dark though :dntknw:

I also thought it could be the BN, but then at the same time, i always thought that smallish BNs don't really inflict damage to leaves. If anything, they would punch holes in them, but some of my Hygrophilia leaves at the top levels even have chunks taken out of them. I dont see the BNs go up there at all. Only other thing are the SAEs, but the bad thing is i need both fish to help take care of algae and hair/brush algae.

Any other thoughts?

I'm inclined to think it's the Syno... My f S. eupterus has done some serious damage to my java fern. :)

Cheers - OziOscar.

My Syno decorus is the most peaceful thing ever! he's always hiding, never comes out and i would say NEVER swims to the top level foliage. So how can the leaves at the top levels get chunks taken out?

the only fish that swim around the top level foliage are the angels, gold barb and in particular, the SAEs.

Does anyone else have problems with SAEs eating their leaves?

The only thing my SAEs ate was their food and occasionally gave the discus a hickey. :D

You could leave a webcam running with motion detection to record the action?

Cheers - OziOscar.

My Syno decorus is the most peaceful thing ever! he's always hiding, never comes out and i would say NEVER swims to the top level foliage. So how can the leaves at the top levels get chunks taken out?

the only fish that swim around the top level foliage are the angels, gold barb and in particular, the SAEs.

Does anyone else have problems with SAEs eating their leaves?

I never had any problems with SAEs when I owned them Nova.

After separating the SAEs yesterday, this morning, only dead leaves were at the top. I took out all the dead leaves and during the day, no further leaves were on the surface! Looks like i've found the culprit! I'm so happy, but then disappointed at the same time, because now i have no fish to eat the hair/beard/brush algae.

What other fish eat it besides the true SAE? Ottos?

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I had whiptails in my planted tank and found they were not good as they were too cumbersome to move through the plants without knocking them about. Plants like hair grass if not well established were up rooted.

I got to say I'm extremely surprised you found the saes to be the culprit, my money would have been on the bn. I don't think bn have a place in a planted tank. If the leaves are soft and new, they will chew holes in them.

My money as algae eater are saes and otos. Otos can be tough to keep alive initially as they are often starved in shops and are not able to recover in your tank though.

It sounds like you are losing a lot of leaves. For a full-on healthy planted tank I wonder if you are losing more than should be normal?

Archived