"Don't eat the yellow ones"

Scienceman

I am sure this is the message being passed around in my community tank. After living happily for the past 18 months and eating all fry that are spat, for some unknown reason they have stopped eating the e. yellow fry and I now have 4 generations in the tank. Only 1 or 2 from each generation live but even the smallest seems to swim around the rocks and not get chased by the bigger carnivores.

In the beginning I thought that it was just one very smart e. yellow fry that managed to stay concealed but now with 4 generations present, I beleive that there has been a change in behaviour of the other tank memebers.

Other full size fish in the tank include e. blues, red empress, blue dolphins, lithobates etc.

Mind you, no other fry are surviving so I think it must be that the yellow ones taste bad!!!!! :shock:

Hmm, the only time I had a yellow spit in the tank they lasted about..... well I don't know because I must have blinked.

I might have to leave them to it for a while and see if mine do the same (too many yellow fry anyway).

Actually Duck my only girl is one of the ones I got from you (sorry, gave the others to a LFS due to poor colouration when they grew up a bit). However she is a prolific breeder, pausing for only about a week between spitting and having a new moughful. At the end she spits ~ 3-6 fry with 1 or 2 surviving. Not sure what to do as I am already at maximum capacity and they are very tricky buggers to catch in a well-rocked tank. Knowing my luck some will be female and my big boy - Nugget will crack onto them as well, filling the tank with yellows.

Archived