tank stability question

novafishy

Hey guys,

Might be getting two 4ft tanks which are 4ft x 24" wide x 10" high. (186 Litres each)

I have a two-tier 4ft wooden stand has got metal supports that run lengthways (4ft long) on both sides, top and bottom.

The width of the stand that supports the tank is 20", so meaning 4" shorter. If I put a 2.5cm thick 24"Wide MDF board, then sit the tank on top of it, it will hang 2" on either side.

Do you think it's safe?

Sorry for the dodgy and messy photos, the stand is being used very well in the garage :lol3:

Here is the full shot of the stand:

IPB Image

close-up:

IPB Image

even closer-up: Metal brace supports are under the wooden beams as you can see.

IPB Image

Another option is to drill in a 2" thick plank of pinewood that sits flush against the side of the wooden part, so it acts as an "extension". then sit the MDF board on top. What do you guys think?

IPB Image

thanks!

:8

I pesonally wouldn't feel comfortable with overhang. I think a lot of the tank's vertical strength is in the sides so they should be taking most of the weight onto the supports. Centre supports under a tank are really there to stop the bottom busting out, not to support the weight.

If it were only a few mm or even a few cm I'd probably take the risk but a few inches is a bit much for me to sleep soundly ;)

Of course if the tanks have been over-manufactured (12mm bases or something) then you would have a better chance of it working.

Ideally, get the right sized tanks made for your rack if you must use that one, or spend $100 and make your own rack to match your tanks perfectly. A rack like that should cost you around $100 in materials and isn't very hard to do at all.

looking at the photos, it wouldn't be hard to keep the front & rear parts of the existing stand intact & install wider centre sections so it can be used properly. Even cheaper than a new stand, just make the centre pieces 4" longer!

One the suggestion of mdf board as a base for the tank, I would think twice about that. If it gets wet in one corner, it will swell, thus creating an uneven base of support, and perhaps cracks due to extra pressure where the swelling is. Ply is a much better option, and much more rigid than mdf anyway. Even non marine grade ply will swell minimally as compared to mdf, and price is comparable. While mdf is fairly hard, it is not strong in anything other than compression, so it wont add any strength, and then there is the swelling issue.

The stand may well take the weight ok. I like the steel rail supports, and the timber rails are checked into the legs. I assume that is just a stain, and not the timber beggining to deteriorate also. I am inclined to agree with Baz on the overhang issue, but you provide a fairly good suggestion on how to remedy that with the extra rail. Just be sure to use waterproof glue, and half a dozen bolts to attach it. In the long term owever, I will definantly support Baz's approach. ANother thing which I notice is the lack of bracing.... how is it bracing wise? Ie will it readily brace itself against a bump, and not wobble? This is important when you are talking alot of weight high up. Perhpas consider some diagonal bracing at the back of the stand if you choose to go with it...

HTH,

Jason

Thanks to all who have replied.

I have decided not to go with the tanks, as I want to sleep soundly at night.

But I will, however source some 4x20"wide tanks for this particular two-tier stand.

And thanks for the MDF/Plywood tip, Jason, will keep that in mind next time. :lol2:

Isn't it a 3-tier stand? :dntknw:

It's hard to tell from the pics but it doesn't look overly robust to me. I'd be building a new one regardless, but I just love a good night's sleep :lol3:

Its a 2 tier stand, with room at the top, but i wont be using the top.

it is sturdy, but not as sturdy as i would like it.

therefore getting a metal one.

maybe i should've converted it to a BAZ rack eh? :wink

Archived