Anyone breeding

CThompson

G’day,

Have never seen young of these FS on ACE, just wondering am I the only person breeding them?

I have posted a FS up, and it got me wondering if there is anyone else sellling offspring?

Craig

Thanks for your reply Ben, I agree I think they are better than a mulitpuntatus, they have more colour (extra white on the leading rays in their fins) and are more compact (smaller), which I have always thought an atribute :8 .

They’ve got great personality, beat any sort of pleco hands down :lol4: for activity and character, and what’s more, they are from a Rift Lake so can safety and with complete aesthetic confidence be put with Tangs :wub .

Have you seen any for sale in shops of late?

Craig

Hi Craig,

I also have had a group of 6 going on 2 years now.

They look like they have been playing around...some are getting a little teritorial.

Are they sexed like multipunctatus? I have a couple that are real sleek looking and the rest seem very bulky and rotund.

I agree they are a great addition for tang comunities :thumbup:

I recently saw some for sale at Riverside but didnt pay attention to the price of them, they also seem to be on the Bay Fish stock list all the time aswell

Regards

Christian :)

The fat ones are the females. I wouldn't say they get territorial, but there is a certain amount of ..... interpersonal communication, for want of a way of putting it. When they breed, the female on "heat" is the most popular fish in the tank, chased without aggression by most if not all males in the tank.

What do Bay Fish list their price as do you know?

These fish are not legal imports into Oz, if Bay has them listed, perhaps they are being bred here in numbers?

I bought mine from Riverside when they first came into the country, they were priced at $110 each.

I love my petricola! I have a group of nine. Had them for a couple of years. As you pointed out to me once Craig, they grow slower than most any fish I have raised. 6 months till 3-4cm at least. So each six months I put the 'love pot' in the tank and pull out a bunch more eggs. Sometimes there is hundreds of eggs laid at a time, but I just cant raise that many. You dont see them for sale up here very much at all either... Even so, I have never had to advertise them, they all go by word of mouth...

Cheers,

Jason

I love my petricola! I have a group of nine. Had them for a couple of years. As you pointed out to me once Craig, they grow slower than most any fish I have raised. 6 months till 3-4cm at least. So each six months I put the 'love pot' in the tank and pull out a bunch more eggs. Sometimes there is hundreds of eggs laid at a time, but I just cant raise that many. You dont see them for sale up here very much at all either... Even so, I have never had to advertise them, they all go by word of mouth...

Cheers,

Jason

Hi Eddie can you discribe the LOVE POT :wub or a pic would be great

cheers jon

G'day John,

Sure no problem. I pretty much just copied this idea: love pot and auto collector. I used to do it without the air uplift tube, but when I discovered this I had to try it. It works a treat. I just make sure I have plenty of air powering it so eggs are more readily sucked up. I also rather than use a flat bottom dish for the marbles, use one with a round bottom so they want to fall to the centre. The hole is actually in the bottom of the marble bowl, which is not the same as depicted on the link. My marble depth is only one to two marbes deep, to ensure the eggs easily find the bottom, and the suction hole. I also discovered that mine seem to prefer dark, non-reflective marbles, so it might pay to experiment with things like that. They cram themselves in there, so if you only have a couple or a few, a small pot might be better than a larger one. I just expereimneted with stuff like that for a while. Bu interestingly, the sucess came consistently when I started feeding nls. They seem to go particularly crazy for it. Before that, they would often spawn after a dose of easy life. They females are constantly fat. I also learned quickly that the strainer used to collect the eggs must be finer than the average spagetti collander you might buy in the kitchen shop :B . Their eggs are very very small!!! I actually leave the eggs in there until they have hatched and are almost free swimming. Saves shocking them with different water or moving them around. THey are very small and fragile. There are a few losses, but they lay hundreds of eggs, so even a 25% survival rate gives me more than I can handle. It does collect a bit of poo as well, but I just manually suck it out with a baster thingy. My pot actually has two holes also. One just like the ink shows, and another halfway up. The holes are quite small. Just small enough for the females to get their fat tummies through. I put it in a back corner under a big clump of java fern where its all nice and romantic looking.... :wub

HTH,

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Craig, did you get my return message? I had some trouble sending pm's last week.....

Cheers,

Jason

Not sure. Looked in my inbox, can't see any from you (unless I deleted it?). I do remember someone responded up in Queenland that they were breeding them now that I think about it, that must have been you. Was it a PM or an email?

Craig

hi,

i'd love to get hold of half a dozen,

got just the tank,

but i havent seen or heard of any in south australia. :cryblow:

brilliant little catfish!

cheers

neil

hi,

i'd love to get hold of half a dozen,

got just the tank,

but i havent seen or heard of any in south australia. :cryblow:

brilliant little catfish!

cheers

neil

G'day Neil,

I have more growing up, so if you come up this way, or have a friend making the trip, get in touch with me.

Craig

thanks for that craig,

about when would they be ready to travel ?

will try to find a way,i will keep in touch/let you know.

could you let me know size and $$$.

cheers

neil.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

:raisehand: hi,

yeah i`ve been breeding them too, i used to lose a lot of fry when mine first started to breed but now i get about an 85% success rate with raising fry to a good size. :raisehand:

You must have given the search engine a work out to find this thread!

How long does it take you to get your fish up to a saleable size (4cm)?

I sell most of mine to a wholesaler, have another batch to go at the moment.

Craig

:) i`ve been a member for a while here but i havent been online for a very long time. Ive recently bought a new pc and hope to catch up a bit. :yes:

to get to about 4 cm takes about 4 months then they start to grow a little quicker as their mouths are bigger. they are slow growers but you see them change a little bit everyday.

because they breed all the time i throw about three or four different batches that hatched during the week in altogether.

Brenden

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi all,

"Fishantics" on the Perth Cichlid Society site has bred the S.petricola.

I know because I bought 6 from him last year (2007).

They are beautiful little cats, they have doubled in size already.

HTH

Col

President

Perth Cichlid Society.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived