Soultion to filters losing prime during water change

topline

Hi All

Dont know if anyone has posted something similar to this in the past. If so, sorry for the repetition. I regularly do water changes where the level in the tank drops below the input strainers on my external filters. I got sick of having to reprime the filters and came up with this idea. It works a treat. Hope you find it usefull

IPB ImageIPB ImageIPB Image

I cut a 600ml soft dring bottle in half and punched 2 noles in each hafh. Attache fishing line to holes forming a loop. When performing water changes, I just slip these onto the intake strainers and slip the loop of fishing line over a dowel stick placed ofer the tank which holds them in place. Drain water away and intakes remain full of water and dont lose prime.

Very simple and very handy

Cheers

Brian

How much water do you remove? Or do you have your intakes at an angle?

How much water do you remove? Or do you have your intakes at an angle?

Great idea btw!!

Remove about 60-70% weekly. Intakes are not perfectly vertical. Due to bracing strip, intakes dont sit flush but just 'hang' in where ever they fit. As long ac bottle halds water over intake, angle does not matter.

Cheers

Remove about 60-70% weekly. Intakes are not perfectly vertical. Due to bracing strip, intakes dont sit flush but just 'hang' in where ever they fit. As long ac bottle halds water over intake, angle does not matter.

Cheers

Thats a lot of water each week. How many litres is your tank? I only do a 10% weekly change, and it seems to keep the nitrates down.

Very innovative idea nonetheless!

Hi

Tank is 400l but pretty overstocked at the moment. Nitrates rise from 20 to 40ppm in a week. Part of this is probably due to u/g filter that has been in the tank for about 5 years now.

Only 2 weeks before new tank arrives :thumbup:

Cheers

Brian

Archived