Identification

Sooty

Total agreeance. Terrible syntax, and very strong issue-avoidance...lol

Oh well, at least we're here to help people choose properly when being offered dubious fishies!

Andrew.

I honestly have no idea what they are....Its hard to type sarcasm into a post.

I think that alot of people didnt get to see the start of the discussion last night and that post has since dissapeared. It basically was Sooty having one of his digs at the quality of local Electric Yellows and saying how good the fish he was selling are.

I have some of the new fish and will agree that they are excellent quality, but in typical Sooty fashion he starts this sort of thing and then dissapears off into never land not to be seen or heard from for weeks.

Josh

...at the quality of local Electric Yellows and saying how good the fish he was selling are.

How can they be called "quality"? Unless they're backed up with a verifiable name, locality, & species, there's no point in emphasising them at all!

They are not Labidochromis caeruleus. Full stop. Google the species and see if you come up with an image of whatever these were...

Whatever they are that is a horrible photo Sooty. Shame on you

:lol3:

I would say shame on the person sending the photos. Obviously a severe case of poor photo shop skills. <_<

I would like to know the motive of selling these?{the person that sent the photos} Looks like someone eventually, will end up with dud fish & these will be sold to unsuspecting public. You only have look at some of the responses to this post. Some would of bought these as a new clean yellow, barlowi..... :angry:

Frenchy :)

Andrew

These arent the fish sooty was selling!!!

He was trying to show that the quality of electric yellows is at times questionable. The picture is to illustrate that fact, not to show the quality of his fish.

Josh... If you read back over everything, I did not at any point say they were... We only talked identification...

And, if that was his motive, it wouldn't hurt for him to be clear about it. He is certainly very welcome to let us know why he began the thread. :blink

ahh, but being unclear & causing a ruckus has got a stupid amount of reads & replys on this thread - so once he's happy he'll explain the first pick & put in a really good shot of the WC yellows & have eleventy billion of you asking for prices

a cunning plan :lol3:

Im sure sooty will reply when he gets back on here

Also these fish were imported by a shop owner in Qld who didnt know what they were

I think sooty was asked if he knew what they were and he posted the pic to see what everyone else though

I doubt it was used to show the quality of his yellows as quite plainly they arent even yellows

I think you will find that they are not Sooty's yellows, and Motorman you are right.

Sooty has been given time to cool off, thats what I hear. When he is given access to ACE again he will clear up the matter.

I know of some nice Peacock Bass that would like to meet those Xbreeds.

Just to point out - "Puulu Pt" Zebs are a hybrid. Without doing genetic studies, we cannot tell what is in them. These fish look (for all the world) like the "Puulu Pt" Zebs I have seen. I would not be at all surprised if "Puulu Pts" included hybrids of estherae x caeruleus or estherae x peacocks. They bear the traits of all.

Having been to Malawi and seeing real estherae at Stuart Grant's "Red Zebra Lodge", I can honestly say that they are definitely not pure M. estherae (named after Stuart's wife, Esther).

Regards,

Andrew.

Hi Andrew

Long time no speak I hope you are well

Pulu Point Zebras are not a Hydrid they are Line Breed "Esterae" This is done in Germay like the Eureka red Peacock which in its pure form is Aulonacara Otter Point

Cheers

Craig

Hi Craig! Good to hear from you.

Yep, I did use the term hybrid, but as in my earlier post, I pointed out that they are (at least in name) line-bred M. estherae. I remember your stock - they were the best!

Even line-bred species are a hybrid, but intraspecific, rather than interspecific. Like in orchidology, when one crosses Vanda caerulea with Vanda caerulea, in order to improve the form, it is classed as an intraspecific man-made hybrid.

Unfortunately, not all the "Puulu Pt" zebs I saw looked the same. There are some batches that had a different dad, I reckon - not yours though - they were yummy!

Catch ya soon.

Got to agree with you Andrew - Craig's pulu's are the best going round, mate - best colour but thats what NLS will do for your fish.

Even line-bred species are a hybrid, but intraspecific, rather than interspecific. Like in orchidology, when one crosses Vanda caerulea with Vanda caerulea, in order to improve the form, it is classed as an intraspecific man-made hybrid.

so, if i breed [insert name] with [same name], hoping [imo] to improve the quality of my treasured line of

[name]. all i will end up with is intraspecific man-made hybrids?

i always considered 'line breeding' as an exercise in an accelerated way of finding the good/bad points in the genetic makeup. using what is good [culling the bad] to continue improving the 'line'. with the use of an out-cross [same name] when it had the better features that was needed

flower horns are 'interspecific', line-bred [name] are 'intraspecific'?. then i guess the lakes are full of man-made hybrids. :dntknw: maybe i should have gone to uni and studied genetics :shock:

No, we're not splitting hairs here. It's only when line-breeding leads to the production of a recognised new variety, e.g. "Puulu Pt" or "Eureka Red".

But don't forget - when we do this, we are controlling what may or may not otherwise happen naturally. If they do it in the wild, then it is intraspecific reproduction. If it is controlled for certain traits, it is a man-made intraspecific hybrid.

Don't shy away from the word "hybrid" - a large number of known hybrids occur in nature - without man's input. Nothing is wrong with whatever happens naturally, but when we force it, we are playing god.

* By the way - intraspecific hybrids are still the same species as their progenitors! :lol2:

• 3 weeks later...

i have approx 130 -160 adult yellows

some have thick black lines

some have thin black lines

some have faint (grey)

some have very little

some have black tips on tails

some have black lines stopping before the end of fins

most are bright clean yellow

i guess what i am trying to say is " i believe it would be possible to breed the black out although it would take a long time and why would someone do this"

and then we go into the genes , food and enviroment

Archived