Bristlenose Fry

Lurker

I have a pair of bristlenose in a community tank with 15 neons and 3 bubble bee Gobies. Will any of these fish eat the bristlenose fry.

The first spawn was about 30 or so, I have about 3 left, about 3cm

The second spawn was about 40-50, I have about 10 left about 2cm

This last spawn was about 30 again, they have just started coming out of the cave, about 8mm.

Do you think it's the parents knocking them off or the neons?

At what size should i put them into another tank.

Dave.

Dave,

Those cute little gobies may not move about much and look harmless, but they have a HUGE mouth and just as big a tummy. They are ambush feeders and anything that swims by is tucker. Gobies can swollow prey almost as big as themselves. I am surprised there are any neons still swimming.

Alan

Hi,

I have a variation on the same question.

My male bristlenose is currently sitting in his cave fanning something (that I hope are eggs). Will bristlenose fry survive in a tank with zebra danios and bronze corydoras catfish?

thanks

bye

Pam

Pam,

Corydoras are umpredictable some will prey on baby bristlenose some wont. My large sterbai eat anything they can catch but the melini which are almost as big don't bother the bristles. The danios though should not worry the fry when they get to leave the nest.

I would keep an eye on the bronze cories if they are adults.

Alan

Wow - and I was worried about the danios - after watching them circle and torpedo the cory eggs off the glass and dive bomb the algae tablets etc.

thanks for the opinion - I'll watch the cory's now - and I thought they were so nice ;-)

bye

Pam

Hi Pam

if you got the male fanning the eggs in a log or something similar you can lift the whole thing out and move it to another tank, i just did that with my male bristlenose as my maingano were eyeing some of the newly hatched fry.

I was going to take him out with his cave- but our quarantine tank is filled with baby bronze cories as is a large plastic tub (in our lounge room) we got on the weekend. My boyfriend keeps saying something about a tank filled with schools of corys...

Oh well I've got a few days yet - maybe I'll work something out.

thanks

bye

Pam

Archived