Painting Brine Shrimp Hatchery Bottles

Goobz

I am building my first brine shrimp hatchery and have one thing I need cleared up. Do the bottles need to be painted? I read somewhere that you should paint all but the bottom inch. That way when you turn off the bubbles they are attracted to the light at the bottom and the shells float to the top.

Is this true? Or is it a waste of time?

Thanks for the help

Chris

It all depends on how well you want to seperate the cysts and unhatched eggs from your nauplii. I believe it is well worth the trouble. The bacterial count associated with your nauplii will be significantly lower.

The procedure I use is:

1. hydrate cysts for 20-30min in freshwater;

2. decapsulate the cysts by adding bleach to the hydrated cysts. rinse and put cysts in hatcher. 28oC, aeration.

3. Remove heater add light to top of hatching cone and remove air;

4. drain the junk from the bottom;

5. cover top of cone with dark material place light as base of cone to attact nauplii;

6. harvest after 5-10mins.

then finally a rinse and feed to fish.

I gaurantee that the resulting nauplii are better than those done without this procedure. Obviously you need to paint your cone for this to work.

Adam

mate i have absolutely no idea what you are talking about Adam. Is Napaulii Brine shrimp??? Sounds like a Pasta!?!

Anyway to answer the original Q, I have been given a brine shrimp hatcher with the instructions to it aswell. It is totally clear except for the bottom and top which is white(i don't think this is for any reason tho) and is for specificly breeding brine shrimp which i do easily everytie with no hassle.

There is not much to it other than a teaspoon of salt and teaspoon of eggs and lots of light and 30oCelcius water.

i got a 5 gallon tank and i put some ice cream contain plastic in 2/3rd of the way accros leaving a 4cm gap in the bottom. put the eggs in the 1/3rd section and air reate etc

then when harvesting put a smallish globe on the lager side and wait 10 minutes then with a brine net i just net them up biggrin.gif works a treat

Archived