NLS for frontosa

Richard

G'day to all;

Just wondering what you frontosa keepers feed your adult frontosa. Im caught up between buying Spectrum large fish Formula (3mm), Spectrum Jumbo Fish Formula (5mm) and Spectrum Thera A large fish (3mm). Just wondering what would be the best out of the lsited three products, the fish are adult size. Any other suggestions for food, feel free to recommend

cheers; Richard

For what its worth Richard I feed my wild caught Frontosa OSI cichlid flake they seem to go OK on it.

Richard, do you want them to be OK or spectacular? ;)

I would give a mixture of Large fish Formula and Thera A Formula

i would have to agree, I dont keep frontosa but like any other fish i'm sure the key is variation in their diet, what one pellet may lack the other one might make up for. Thi good thing about NLS is that its probably one of the only foods that is contrary to that rule as they are marketed as the complete fish food! i use NLS and all the claims they make on the jar are for fish that are fed exclusively on the stuff... but i still like to use a bit of variation so i use NLS as a staple and frozen food 2-3times a week as a treat.

i think you should be fine with either of the NLS formulas above as they are probably as good as i gets in terms of commercial fish food quality. If you can get both, even better and maybe give them peeled prawns a couple of times a week as a treat.

I would give a mixture of Large fish Formula and Thera A Formula

i would have to agree, I dont keep frontosa but like any other fish i'm sure the key is variation in their diet, what one pellet may lack the other one might make up for. Thi good thing about NLS is that its probably one of the only foods that is contrary to that rule as they are marketed as the complete fish food! i use NLS and all the claims they make on the jar are for fish that are fed exclusively on the stuff... but i still like to use a bit of variation so i use NLS as a staple and frozen food 2-3times a week as a treat.

i think you should be fine with either of the NLS formulas above as they are probably as good as i gets in terms of commercial fish food quality. If you can get both, even better and maybe give them peeled prawns a couple of times a week as a treat.

I agree with your claim to feed a variety, but let me make it clearer, Of course we have to feed a variety of foods (ingredients), but we don't have to feed a variety of brands. Everything your fish needs is in NLS, you don’t have to supplement with other foods.

Say brand/food/ingredient X has 75% nutritional value compared to NLS (which has 100%), you feed NLS once and brand/food/ingredient X once a day. When the time comes to feed your fish with NLS, your fish missed out on 25% nutrition due to the poorer nutritional value of brand/food/ingredient X. Of course your fish will be OK but in the long-term they will not thrive.

The biggest mammal on earth lives on one food. Let me be specific, the Blue Whale lives exclusively on Krill, can't we keep a 10inch Frontosa on an exclusive diet?? I am not saying you can with other products, but you can with NLS, that's our guarantee!!

Richard, sorry I missed your question, NLS also comes in 5mm floating pellets (Jumbo Fish Formula).

Here’s a list of all the formulas we carry:

http://www.tqtf.com.au/spectrumFoods.php

Waruna :)

aren't sinking pellets better for fronts - gulping air or some such problem?

Hi Ash, I haven't heard of such a problem, have you?? Or has any one here?? Would love to know.

Waruna :)

I think it was explained along the lines of they usually feed 100+ feet down & aren't used to eating from the surface & swallow air & don't know how to "burp" it out, causing floatation problems.

It was mentioned on here at some stage, no idea when but it would have been in the technical area as I think someone had a fronny floating after eating from the surface.

My memory is notoriously hazy though, so I could be dribbling excrement

Thanks Jamie and Ash, i haven't kept Fronts and this is the first time i heard of this. I'll try and find out what i can. Hopefully we will get more info on this here, anyone??

Waruna

Archived