Shell grit in canisters?

Petrodes

Hi all....Does shell grit in canisters, buffer water successfully for tang tanks with no active substrate?

What type of shell is more effective?

Do the shells in a shellie tank do the same thing effectively?

I would really appreciate your comments re these 3 questions.

Bless ya ...Peter

I have found that if you buy some crushed coral or coral sand and put it in a stocking and put it in you filter that it helps keep your ph high so in turn you do not have to add as much ph up or salts to your tanks.

It also helps maintain your ph level so it does not fluctuate as much which is healthier for the fish aswell.

Hi Peter,

I agree that shell grit is light and will move in the filter.

If you can get your hands on crushed coral or crushed marble chips, that would be effectively. A lot of people use oyster shells like David mentioned.

hi Peter

any shells in the system will do the job. but, the little thin snail shells [for shellies] will disolve over time. so the use of a larger grade material in the filter will slow that problem down.

don't use anything too fine in the canister, if some of it becomes dislodged it will make short work of the filter and it can also make cleaning the filter very messy.

i too prefer the large grade shell, 'Pacific' [after consuming the contents]. give them a quick dunk in boiling water to sterilise [to be safe], break them once and place them in top layer of the canister.

cheers; C

• 2 months later...

Archived