Fry savers

mcloughlin2

Guys i made my first fry saver today...not the best job but have a african with a big mouthful that i need to seperate...

Its a 10L container so approx 2.5Gallons?

Its dimensions are L 30cm x H 18cm x W 20cm...

Just wondering how long it is recommended i should wait til i can place it in my tank?

Its already dry but does still have a smell of vinigar... dry.gif

Also i only have 2 pieces of foam on either end of it....each piece is about 15x2.5x4cm...will this be able keep the container afloat and will it be possible to place a very thin layer of sand on the bottom?

Thanks

M2

I leave mine 24 hrs. If it's dry you could do a test run in a sink or similar to see how it floats. Also soaking it in the sink takes some of the smell out I think.

10L is a big frysaver! Mine are mostly 2L, with a few bigger 4L ones for big mouthfuls.

I think you're complicating things by putting sand in there. It will be harder to keep clean and the fry wont need sand.

Yeah i know its pretty big but as im placing the female in there to hold full term i felt it needed to be quite large....

Yeah i understand its not neccesary but i felt if there was sand along the bottom (Max 2-3mm deep) it would help make the female comfortable...

What do you think?

what kind of female is it?

I do this with all my females. I don't strip them, I move them to a fry saver for them to spit naturally.

I chuck mine straight into a 2L one made from an icecream container. I add a 4-6inch length of floating ag pipe and the female normally seeks refuge in this.

If I get an unusually large mouthful, or want to combine a few mouthfuls of the same species, or if I plan to keep the fry in the container for longer than normal, I then use a 4L container.

Remember that when a fish is holding, she's not going to be swimming around a lot. She's not looking for a mate, or food, and will normally be seen hiding around the rocks in a tank. A small container is fine because they just want to feel secure rather than bolt up and down the length of a tank all day wink2.gif

Arrghhh, perhaps your right....

Dam!!

Its only a maingano, but ive never had good experiances with the smaller fry savers - the females always swallows or spits!

Ohh well i will try this and see how it goes..i will be adding a piece of pipe so she has somewhere to hide so hopefully all will go well....

I'll also add that hot glue guns are better for sealing fry saver flyscreen (and you can use them much sooner). Silicone will eventually come away from flexible plastic (maybe a couple of years down the track). Not a big thing though, as they are cheap and easy to make.

Thanks for the help guys!

ViS- i do have a hot glue out the back cupboard...i will give that a go next time...

K2006- that is what i was thinking.

I will give it a go this afternoon. If it fails at least i know how to improve it....

Archived