Condensation elimination in fishroom?

ViS

UPS = Uninterruptable Power Supply

Basically a system that detects when mains power is cut and switch the power supply over to use a battery. Mainly used for computer equipment but people find other little uses for them around the home.

Should be able to pick them up at most good computer stores, but I believe most people modify them to use larger batteries. Prices I'm not sure about, I've never actually had to purchase one but play with them at work.

If you do a search I think there has been some talk of them here in the past, otherwise Google should bring up plenty of info on fish room applications.

Should be able to pick them up at most good computer stores, but I believe most people modify them to use larger batteries. Prices I'm not sure about, I've never actually had to purchase one but play with them at work.

If you do a search I think there has been some talk of them here in the past, otherwise Google should bring up plenty of info on fish room applications.

Great, thanks mate.

ViS, was just one small computer fan enough to handle the condensation issue for your "whole" fishroom?

p.

Yes definitely. There is no humidity at all in there now (well not enough to create any condensation). Best $2 I ever spent :lol2:

UPS range from $99 to $8,000.

Spend about $150 and you will get one with some decent grunt that will be able to powers some air pumps and filters for a couple of hours.

One company i have done some work for, two summers ago they claimed to have lost 100's of hours of work due to power dropping out and shutting down the computers unexpectantly. The company nominated someone to solve the problem and gave them a budget of $500,000. That person decided on a huge mother deisel generator to power 200+ computers, 45 servers, airconditioning and lighting. The Gen was rated for 2 city blocks, and about the size of a mini bus. Total cost was a tad over $550,000 including installation, which included digging a giant hole in the basement for the fuel tank. This was all completed over winter, with some tests run to make sure it could handle the load, and also fuel usage so at to guage how many days they could run on the gen (approx 8 days from memory), i think it was about 18,000 litres. The tests went perfectly. last summer rolled around, with everyone in the office smug about their new toy. First 40 deg day comes along, boom! Power goes out, everything shuts down. 40 seconds later the sound of a freight train rumbles to life and power comes back on.

End result? They didnt think to ask what the delay was for a diesel gen to start up and begin supplying power. There need was for intermittant and instant power supply for 5min - 1 hour periods...not continuous supply for days.

Needless to say that person does not work there any more, and the company turned around the next day and purchased 300 or so various sized UPS's for a lot lot less than $550,000.

Sorry to go so off topic. :)

Archived