How to sex Neolamprologus Leleupis

aymenz

hey guys...

i have 2 of the above...

1 is about 6 cm and it has black lips..... and the other is about 4 cm and is fully yellow......

the big one is digging the caves while the small one is swimming around the cave...

they attack each other sometimes but not much often.... just when the light is 1st turned on.... and then everything is back to normal...

they also attack other fish approaching the caves.....

any help is appreciated..

thx in adv

c ya

Hi

Its really hard to sex Leleupi at that size. I have found the best approach when wanting to breed them is to buy a few young ones (6-10) and grow them up together, letting them pair off naturally. You will know when you have a pair as they claim a territory and defend it.

Cheers, Doug

The only way to really sex leleupi is to vent them, mine at that size are visibly different in this area, looking at their vents, the male will have two very tiny openings, the female will have a slightly larger second or more rearward opening, I should add that my female at 5cm has laid eggs before so may give her a more definitive looking opening. I also find that if viewed from the side, most neolamprologus females have a slight bump were the vent is.. which gets bigger as they approch spawning time... Also my male is the one that digs, and attracts the female.. he does a little shimmy dance next to her then performs a series of very sudden jerky swims in front of her back to his cave and she follows and the next day, most times, eggs!!

Archived