For MoliroMan

anchar

Hi Dave...I decided to post these here rather than under the T photo post. Here are some examples of displays that I have done that may/may not display some of the points we were making about set-ups. Hope it helps. Most of the pics. are pretty crappy..sorry.

This is a 6 x 2 x 2 "Amazon" biotope and a 6 x 2 x 2 "Malawi" dipslay. Whether using rock or plants, the idea is the same. Placement and full use of the tank's dimensions goes a long way to achieving your target.

IPB Image

This was an "American" display (6 x 2 x 2) using rounded boulders and chunky/squarish blocks (the one I was telling you about in the other post.

IPB Image

This was my "American" that I pulled down the other day. Small rocks at front, graduating to larger pieces in the centre and back. Angling the wood breaks up the 1 dimension look that many tanks have.

IPB Image

This is a 4 x 18 x 18 that I made using expanding foam and hand sculpturing. The plants are all individually stuck into the foam (plastic plants).

IPB Image

Andrea :)

i think i understand what u mean by getting a more natural 3 dimensional look now.

however, i don't want my tank to be too heavily rocked so that i can catch holding females if i have to.

i will try to get some rocks this Wednesday and hopefully post some pics.

thx

Dave

Which expanding foam did you use (PM me if mentioning brands is not PC here) because all the information I have read so far (which isn't a huge amount) says it is toxic and needs to be sealed with a clear coat some description (polyurethane or epoxy of some sort)?

It was called SprayDekor by NT Laboratories LTD Kent, England. Contains Diphenylmethane 4 4'-diisocyanate. Made specifically for aquarium use. When I couldn't source any more of this product I used Selley's expanding foam and the only sealing I performed was with Pond Seal from Clearview I think (and the sealant did a crappy job so for all intents and purposes it wasn't properly sealed).

Andrea smile.gif

Archived