Stunted Fish?

Josh

Hi all,

I went to a see a friends tank today that had heaps of fish in it. Some of his fish that he bought at the same time as me, are only about half the size of mine. I told him I thought this was due to the overcrowding. Firstly, I would like know if this is true and secondly, if these are put in a bigger tank or if he reduce his numbers, will they start to grow again? His water tested fine, and he seems to do all the right things. He has a standard 6 footer

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Josh and Evelyn

Hi,

You are probably spot on - as overcrowding can inhibit fish growth smile.gif .

There may also be a difference in quality or quantity of food being given and even if these parameters were the same, alot of competition for food in the tank could also have an impact on size.

Most of the time, if the fish are given adequate room for their size and potential growth, appropriate water changes and fed a good quality food in accordance with their dietary requirements they will make up for lost time.

Cheers

Is it possible to get dwarf fish or for them to be permanently stunted ??

I have an electric yellow that i bought last september/october at about 2.5cm and is still about the same size yet the 3 other yellows i bought on the same day from the same tank are now about 6-7cm. They are in a 6fter, they all get the same food, the little fella does eat his fare share, but if he doesn't get growing soon i think he's gonna become main course for one of his tank mates.

Basicly everything else in the tank is going great. This little fella just won't grow.

Any ideas ??

Thanks

Matt

He can be seen here in the sights of my Dimi comp. ohmy.gif

user posted image

Archived