Lamprologus brevis (Chaitika)

Hello all,

I was lucky enough to score 2 pairs of Lamprologus brevis (Chaitika).

And just wanted to get some expert advice on what you think the tank set up should be for breeding and also whats the best food??

What would make a good take mate??

Also wondering who scored the other pairs so we can compare notes?

I have already set up one tank with heaps of shells should I put any other structure in there.

Do they like still water or quite a bit of movement in the water??

Hey mate;

Pretty sure Brevis are just like Occies. If you're planning on breeding them then just keep them in their own tank, 2ft is plenty of room for them and many generations of fry.

My occie tank is a standard 2fter, running off a single sponge filter. Water changes are weekly. The tank has about 15 or so shells, a rock piece in the middle just to split up territory between the male and female and a load of sand. They get fed NLS but they don't seem to take a liking to it much, so i also feed them frozen brineshrimp which any odd african cichlid likes. High pH and a constant temperature of 25-26c should see them breeding in no time.

HTH

Richard

Pictures of the new fish would be good smile.gif

Do they show the "sunspot"?

As said above, care would be same as for pretty much all shellies. Plenty of shells, divided territories, plenty of fine coral sand.

You Lucky buggar!

Brevis don't need a big tank....0ne pair in a 30cmx30cmx30cm

You don't need heaps of shells...3/4 per pair as they generally share a shell.

I've got 4 adolescent brevis in that size tank...I'm not sure of sexes so the first 2 that pair up get the tank they are in and I'll move the others on.

Are you confident on the sexing?

Tank mates depends on size of tank...but I think small Australian natives..,"blue eyes" are compatable or similar fish...Celebes rainbow or Forktail blue eye

Where I bought the fish think they are 100% and I beleive that.

The best thing is that they are going to be in a 4 footer for a while with some albino catfish, do you think the the juvanile albino catfish would cause any real problem?

Will the fish like flake / pellet?

Thanks for your comments

I believe L. brevis only protect a small territory....but they will protect it vigorously

Don't know if catfish would be able to get to the eggs??

Keep an close eye on them if a pair start sharing a shell!

Mine seem to prefer pellets to flake.

I believe L. brevis only protect a small territory....but they will protect it vigorously

Don't know if catfish would be able to get to the eggs??

Keep an close eye on them if a pair start sharing a shell!

Mine seem to prefer pellets to flake.

I might leave them in initilly and see, at worst I will move the catfish out and let the little guys hopefully fill a 4 foot tank up.

I kept 5 (2 pair and a spare female) in a tank that was 2' x 15" x 15". It had a little rockwork and 3 large (spawning size) shells and a scattering of smaller shells for the fry to live in. Sand substrate. The spawning shells needs to be big enough for both parents...say something like an escargo shell would be perfect.

The 5 adults rarely moved from the front corner (about 5 square inches) of the tank. I agree with Dave that catties will eat the eggs given half a chance.

Andrea smile.gif

Archived