Compatibility issue?

novafishy

I have 3 x silver aros about 33-35cms in a bare 6x2x2 tank.

Would it be ok to put into the same tank 5 x "red-tail characins" / "pink-tail chalceus" at 10-11cms? These characins are very fast swimmers. Here is a pic of them:

user posted image

Anyone kept them together in the same tank before?

thanks!

sorry no first hand experience, but i see them being expensive feeders. Their quick, YES! but all fish need to rest, cant swim fast for the rest of their lives. a 35cm aro would be able to swallow a 10cm fish no problems.

once againi i dont have first hand experience but i do see them becoming feeders. might work though and someone who has tried it might be able to prove me wrong.

HTH

I put in some sharks in my aro tank at that size, and I cant belive how fast the aro is. They curl their tail and WHOOOSH!!

But luckily apart from being shaken and missing scales and slightly looking battered, they are recovering well! thumb.gif

So I wouldn't recommend the characins. I am looking around for some bigger ones myself to put in.

Thanks for the responses guys.

I saw at canleyvale a 4ft tank with a 40cm silver aro and about 7 x 12cm characins, and the silver didn't even bother with them.

I might give it a go, but keep an eye on it.

I also have a 12cm apollo shark in the same tank as the silvers and the silvers just ignores it. SO maybe it just might work bigsmile.gif

Good luck! woot.gif Keep us updated with what happens. I must admit you do see alot of tanks overseas stocked to the brim with aros, datnoids etc and they always have a few expensive characins in there with them so I guess it could go well.

I dont think they were, cos its not really a display tank and the fish changes every now and then. So the aros have been in and out of the tank and so have the characins. Some other hybrid fish have also been in there. So i doubt they were raised together.

you can keep them, but it all depends on thr size of the characins and the size of the arrowana, i have kept them together, but my characins are close to 25cm full grown, once your silver reaches 75cm like mine did, then look out, you may have half a characin floating around in your tank. I ended up selling the silver, instead of selling everything else that was now small enough to fit in his mouth.

Try get some cigar sharks, they are more mid dwellers, they grow very large mine are 40cm and still growing, they have the red tail and the silver body. You can also try tin foil barbs they go very well with arowanas, in schools that is also with the same red and silver combination.

goodluck! smile.gif

Archived