Cheap "DIY" Quick Release Taps

spedwards

I'm sure this has been done by others, but a picture tells 1000 words. I started out heading to Bunnings to just grab a couple of taps, and I walked away with an idea to create some quick release taps without the cost.

Part required are:

2 x Taps

1 x Poly tube connector

1 x Barbed snap-on adapter

Enough hose to join them together

Enough hose clamps to hold it together

user posted image

I used Pope parts, but i'm sure any would do the job fine. The barbed snap-on adapter has a standard tap connection and could be attached to any standard snap-on tap connector, I chose the poly tube connector as is has the barbed ended for easy fitting.

Construction is pretty self explanatory... Just cut the hose to enough length to join the pieces together and use the clamps to make sure it doesn't fall apart. The poly tube connecter clips onto the barbard snap-on connecter (with a little force) for a nice secure fit.

Final product:

user posted image

user posted image

After checking the goodies when I got home I realised that the diameter of the hole through the barbed snap-on adapter is significantly smaller than 19mm. I will see how things go with this and if the flow is significantly reduced I'll get some screw fittings that stay 19mm all the way through.

Parts for one set came in at about $15, which is a fair bit cheaper than getting the real deal.

have to be careful with the snap on connector if you are using it indoor on wooden or carpet floor. they do deteriote over time and leak if bent. i tried it before and felt really flimsy and i didnt want to take the risk on wooden floor.

have to be careful with the snap on connector if you are using it indoor on wooden or carpet floor. they do deteriote over time and leak if bent. i tried it before and felt really flimsy and i didnt want to take the risk on wooden floor.

I was worried about the leaking over time and will keep a very close eye on them.

But the more I think about it, the more the reduction through the snap-on connectors annoys me. I'm going to do away with the snap-on and swap over to the threaded connectors.

I like the idea. thumbup.gif In regards to the reduced flow due to internal restrictions. Dependant of plumbing sizes used, and the availability of larger plumbing fittings for the parts required to make this, you could just plumb the whole thing up, so you make sure the ID of the narrowest part going though the taps and fittings, is equal to the diameter of the correct sized hoses being used.

Maybe larger plumbing fitting could be found at an irrigation supply store which will be better than Bunnings.

Craig

One thing I didn't mention in the first post was there was some grating in the taps, I removed this to prevent any problems caused by gunk getting caught and causing a blockage.

I ended up back at Bunning last night to swap the snap-on fittings, I've had a nasty incident when trying to get one open where it bit me and that was the end of them!

The screw fitting are 19mm all the way through, they don't seem to decrease the ID at all so maybe your's are a little different wui39? dntknw.gif

Bunning have irrigation fittings in 13mm, 19mm and 25mm and also include reducing fittings between all thos sizes to mix and match. The screw fittings are also a little cheaper than the snap-on connectors. In the end I've got 19mm quick release taps for about $10 thumb.gif

You can plumb things up to make sure the ID is correct, for example when going through the tap fittings (I know they come in larger than 13mm), but plumb it down to the correct size after, to go into the filter. The ID is the most important here, with an eye to not being smaller than the inlet/outlet of the pump/filter.

These click on fittings usually have a rubber O ring, so if one starts to leak, check and replace.

The only "double tap connectors" on the market I know of are the Eheim ones, and they cost an arm and a leg. They are extreamly good, so you get what you pay for, but if a DIY way can be done.....

Spedwards, in case you don't know, you can buy taps without the strainers.

Craig

The only "double tap connectors" on the market I know of are the Eheim ones, and they cost an arm and a leg.  They are extreamly good, so you get what you pay for, but if a DIY way can be done.....

That was the inspiration for putting these together!

Archived