Loud Water Pump

Festae

Hi All,

I`m currently running a water pump through one of my spare tanks to get the bacteria started in it for when i get my new tank setup up. The problem is that this water pump is very loud. I've moved it around in the tank and seem to get different levels of vibration in different spots. Annoyingly its most quiet in the middle of the tank. Is there anything i can use to put between the pump and the glass to stop the vibration? The pump is brand new and runs at 3000l/h.

Any ideas?

Brand new? there isn't something in the impellor already?

I only use el-cheapo pumps & the only ones that have got loud are the Resun/Sunsun powerheads when the stainless rod in the impellor wears down - which takes ages to happen BTW

then again, "loud" is a pretty subjective topic

Yea, its a sensen i think.. or sunsun maybe..

Anyway this thing is loud. sounds like a airpump that has vibrated its way next to your tank and is vibrating against the glass..

I doubt there is anything in the impellor because the tank its cycling in is a bare bottom. nothing could get in there except a piece of poo which i doubt would cause a noise like this...

It seems to be quieter if i move it around the tank.. it is most quiet when i hold it in the water away from any of the glass. It also seems more quiet if its turned over 90degress to one side... got me baffled.. It would be perfect if i hung it off one of the braces, but im sure thats not advised..

what do you think?

Unfortunately i tried that already.

Are these things ever faulty? I just seems too loud. I can hear it humming from my bedroom which is on the other side of the house..

THAT would be too loud - I'd contact the retailer.

they are a loud powerhead, don't get me wrong, but not the other end of the house loud!

Archived