Endlers and guppies

Dan

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone who has kept both guppies and endlers can help me.

If i had a male endler and bred it with a female endler cross guppy.

would I be able to grow up the fry and tell apart the pure bred endlers from the crossed ones?

Thanks

Dan

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone who has kept both guppies and endlers can help me.

would I be able to grow up the fry and tell apart the pure bred endlers from the crossed ones?

Thanks

Dan

This is as far as my knowledge goes...

That is the only problem with Endlers and Guppies - is the interbreeding...

You would be able to tell which ones are crosses but as for the pure breds there wouldn't be any "PURE Breds" - they would still be crosses. It is my understanding that it would take more than 5 generation of selective breeding to get most of the guppy traits out of the endler but there are other differences apart from just colour. Shape, social habits, etc... Also I have heard that to get pure bred Endlers is quite difficult.

Anyone with more experience or genetics knowledge please correct me - I would love to know officially...

They would all be crossed. Just some would have more visible endler characteristics.

Thats why in the dog world you must have paper pedigree for a purebred dog. Because if you let ONE other breed type dog into the lineage all the subsequent offspring are not purebred.

You cant breed back to a pure. Once the line is contaminated you can only exclude them. All pure stock must originate from a F0 pure mating and all subsequent offspring derive from them or other purebred stock.

There is much abiguity about purebred and papered dogs in Australia today. I can go into a petshop and buy a purebred dog with no papers. You can ask to see the papers the parents held to ascertain the lineage of the parents. But in most cases purebred means that the owners of the parents didn't get the papers and so on and so forth to previous parents where the dogs *might* be purebred without papers but you wont ever know. Because your taking the owners at their word.

Which is how fish breeding in Australia works. You take the word of the owners and previous owners and so on that the parents all the way through to your stock are pure. Because fish owners have no established association with which to verify a fishes linage or papers to confirm it. When you start just "throwing in" possible cross/not cross into the mix it makes it very hard for subsequent owners to verify pureness and to give assurances that they are.

My recommendation is that is you are unsure of lineage or know it is a cross then enjoy the fish for its individuality and character but don't breed from it.

The other option is to breed them to suit your own likes =

ie: line breed them to have more Endler characteristics, or certain colours, or finage...

Then they are a cross breed but can have special characteristics you have bred into them...

Just a thought blink.gif

I don’t know a lot about the ins and outs of line breeding

But I think they are two different species like a donkey and horse.

Crossing the two you get an animal that is sterile.

I would think that is how it would work here.

But I am only guessing so I could be utterly off the mark

• 2 weeks later...

Just like breeding Aulonocara jacobfreibergi and Aulonocara stuartgranti. Both distinct species, but will breed and have fertile fry. Species differentitation these days are more than just sterile fry.

P.reticulata x P.wingei is something u do not want to do.

Archived