Benthochromis tricoti

foai

Here are some photos of my adult male B tricoti. He is a very handsome chap. I particularly like his tail fins which look like 3 cm long pieces of string.

There is also a photo of my tank at night that the 6 tricoti are in.

I thought my female was holding the other day but the bump in her chin seems to have disappeared so I was either hallucinating or she swallowed them.

user posted image

Tank at night

David

Nice fish mate. What size is the tank and you haven't had any bad luck such as wasting away with any have you? Also whats the ratio you have them in?

cheers; Richard

They are currently in a 4 footer which is too small but my girlfriend has banned any new tanks. Ideally they would be in a 6 x 2 x 2. They are the most peaceful fish I have encountered, no fighting at all, so I haven't felt the need to put them in a bigger tank at this stage - they seem very happy.

Nigel imported them for me. At the time they couldn't be sexed so I took pot luck with what he gave me. My guess is 2 males 2 females and 2 unknown.

I haven't had any problems with them. They are in excellent health. I don't mix them with any other tanganyikans so there is no chance of contamination.

They have this weird habit of swimming in front of the powerhead and getting washed back and at the same time floating upside down. Almost like they are having fun on a waterslide.

Here is another image of the dominant male

user posted image

David

You have some great looking fish! Do they grow any bigger than this?

Full size is about 18cm for males and 15 cm for females. 1 male and 1 female are full sized but the others are at around 13/14 cm.

David

those are some nice fish mate thumb.gif

They have this weird habit of swimming in front of the powerhead and getting washed back and at the same time floating upside down.  Almost like they are having fun on a waterslide.

so do you have any pics of them in that position smile.gif

Yes......always time for me to post pics ........ blush.gifblush.gif

They will be moving into their six foot tank this weekend smile.gif and are doing brilliantly.

My male is now at 18cm and has staked out one end of the tank smile.gif I too thought that two females were holding but they have that odd habit of taking in a mouthful of air and tricking me.

They have been a delight so far although they are very sedate compared to my Tropheus but so far so good. Most of you would be aware that it is not so much the keeping and breeding of this fish but in keeping their fry alive. But I am up to the challenge woot.gifwoot.gif

Cheers

Archived