Could someone identify this growth?

catcher

As the title askes, can someone identify this growth on the fake plants? The fish have a nibble and it doesn't seem to bother any of them. It's predominantly black/grey and is very fine.

Cheers

glenn

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

hi Glenn

trust you to come up with a curly one LOL.gif

the black growth looks very similar to brush algae, but it usualy grows just about everywhere. the grey stuff looks like the same growth that acumulates around the rubber suction caps on heaters etc.

the brush algae will do no harm, but it can look unsightly once it takes hold on plants, looks good on rocks though. i've read that the grey growth also does no harm and will come to it's own end in time. i'd give the 'plants' a wash in salty water at each water change and see if that clears the problem up

cheers; Colin

Thanks guys, I was hoping I'd get a "causes no real harm" answer. wink2.gif

I'll give them all a good soak in salty water next water change, cheers.

Another option is to bath them in a 20% solution of bleach or neat Hydrogn peroxide.

Bleach should be washed off well but hydrogn peroxide can be squireted with a syringe directly onto the plants in the tank (hydrogen peroxide is squirted onto living plants with no ill effects and as long as you dont squirt it directly onto the fish its harmless). Depending on your tank size I would only do maybe 10 ml Hydrogen peroxide at a time. If you turn off your filters/powerheads it will work even better as the hydrogen peroxide will stay in contact with the algae longer.

It works great and I love seeing algae fizz away when using peroxide.

You can buy it by the bottle at most chemists/pharmacists.

Mike

Archived