How to culture daphnia?

Rol&Jas

Hi,

I recall that there was a topic on culturing live food including daphnia in the old forum, but I cannot find it.

As my J. transcriptus "gombe" started to breed and seeing how much the fry like to eat freshly hatched brine shrimp I'm looking for other live food alternative for the fry. Daphnia is one of my choices especially that they are bigger than the brine shrimps.

As far as I remember I need a barrel full with aged water and then I can add the daphnias and they will breed there. If anyone ever kept them or culturing them please enlighten me how to do it.

Thank you

So is daphnia something that is naturally in the environment??

I live the bush where just about every crawlly god ever made is around me! If I put a container of water outside is it likely to get infested ?

Craig.

I have called Kellyville today, because years ago they used to have them, but they do not stock them anymore.

I think Dave (YEW) used to have them? I do not know who to ask to get a starter culture. I think that someone mentioned it before on the old forum that if you have a wooden barrel or even put wood in the barrel sooner or later the daphnia will get there. How, I do not know?

Archived