DIY 5' cabient

burgoid

Thought I would share a few pics of the cabient im building for my new 5x2x2.

I've now got the frame complete and just need to seal her in and get the doors on. bigsmile.gif

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

on the right hand side is where the sump is going to sit and on the left there will be a pidgeon hole kinda setup for storage.

havent got that far yet. :p im thinking of going a light imber all round, with a 25mm trim about 40mm up from the bottom and same on the hood except 40mm down from the top.

Looking good. are you going to put a leg brace in the middle to support the middle of the glass at the front?

hi burgoid

this suggestion would be well worth looking at. the front beam on 5x2 needs a support in the centre. not a lot of fun in 6/8 mths when that beam sags. [been there, done that]

you could hide it from veiw by the way you set the doors.

cheers; Colin

Thanks for the comments guys, there are no plans for a middle centre support as there needs to be room for the 3' sump. However there is going to be some heavy duty ply sitting over the top to evenly distribute the weight. I'll add more pics maybe mid week to show it enlcosed in.

Ok I've decided to go with laminex sides front and hood. Today I painted the any supports that will be visible black just so they wouldnt stand out as much.

Also added bracing ply to the back. Im thinking of adding a small fluro as well just to make maintance easier.

Id seriously consider that middle support at the front.

I've built a few stands and a 5x2x2 has a lot of weight .over 1/2 tonne.

All my stands use structural timbers and structural ply .I still have supports.

My 4x2x2 has 2 supports in the front.

better safe than sorry!!!!

Graeme

Ok I've decided to go with laminex sides front and hood

Im thinking of adding a small fluro as well just to make maintance easier.

laminex, attached to what sort of materrial?

this is usually chipboard. beware, this type of board will absorb moisture and swell, causing the joins in the laminate to split open.

a light underneath is very helpfull thumb.gif

heavy duty ply will not even out the wieght of the tank over the front beam. it too

will bow. is that timber construction grade?? dntknw.gif

why not have one end panel screwed on or hinged, so that it can be removed or

opened, if ever the sump needs to be removed

cheers; Colin

is it all just nails?

I would have gone proper joints, bigger timber, screws and glue.

who am i kidding i would have welded it together lol

anyways from what you have done i would get a nice piece of 10mm exterior ply added to the ends and back for rigidity. then add you decorations

and maybe screw or bolt a piece of decent sized angle iron behind that front support beam..... for support. wink2.gif

I will add my weight here too. Especially seeing as the front rail is just butted into the front legs, and not supported by them directly. I would also strongly reccomend at least one front support in the middle. This thing is going to be holding well over half a tonne. You want to be sure it will hold with some strength to spare... Ply on top will not help bear the weight...

I have a 4x2x2 with no middle support. But I used kiln dried f27 hardwood. Two 150 x35 side by side. I just wasnt comfortable with any less...

Trofius' suggestion is good too if you are insisting on having an open front.

That is all....

Jason

maybe make a bolt in centre leg so you can get the sump in? once it's in you won't take it out unless you break down the tank.

* make removable leg & remove it

* put tank on top piece of ply with styro

* put sump in

* plumb everything up

* replace leg

* fill, cycle & populate

Failing that Mick's angle iron is probably the next best option, you'd want something heavy like 75x75 3mm thick as a minimum though, that's a long distance!

The laminex doors will be the eaxct same thing that is used in kitchens, preety waterproof stuff ;). At current there is well over 300 65mm screws. Timber used is pine 70x35's ( the type they use for house's frames) with 9mm ply top, back and sides. The way it is constructed the majority of the weight should ( emphisis on should) be on the corners. And as you can see there is an extra support running along the top front. Now I hope that didnt sound to arogent :p But I just have confidence in this. Dont get me wrong as soon as there is even a hint of movement a centre support will be quickly added.

Know I guess there is even more riding on it then my tank, if it fails im gonna look like a tool as well dry.giftongue.gif

Personally I'd have gone for 90x35 for that kind of span and that kind of weight. Not saying this wont work, I just know I'd sleep better at night with it stronger smile.gif

yup, I had make many stand myself multi tiers and up to 6 ft. I will never make a 5ft without the center brace.

Pine is soft wood. I used to make a stand for a 4x2 with hardwood without center brace and it still sag a few mm after 6months.

Good luck!

The laminex doors will be the eaxct same thing that is used in kitchens, preety waterproof stuff wink2.gif.

Don't count on the Laminex doors being water proof no.gif I am a sales rep in the Kitchen Industry and I can tell you that they are not water proof but just moisture resistant yes.gif

That means if the water gets into the substrate of the doors they will swell up but when they dry out then will go back to around 95% of there original size , get water into the substrate again and they are stuffed .

Also with that 5ft span I agree with with what has been said about having a centre leg , I made a rack for my fish house to hold 5x2 tanks and I did not have a centre leg ( I used 90x45 pine ) yep you guessed it dry.gif they bowed in the middle rolleyes.gif

<quote>current there is well over 300 65mm screws</quote>

Burgs, you should have just welded all those together.

Ok.... you guys win. :p Looks like I will be putting in a centre support. Hopefully the tank will go on this weekend :D

Luke, is there anyway to overcome that problem? - of the laminex that is - beacuse we have them thorughout our kitchen including under the sink where they occasionally get splashed but they seem fine?

Hi Burgoid

The Laminex doors are fine for normal kitchen use and for doors on your cabinet , they can be splash / washed with no probs as they are moisture resist , the problem with the swelling only occurs when they are under water for an extended period of time ,such as overflowing sinks or flooding .

Glad to see you are putting in the centre leg thumb.gif

Archived