Fish with Pimples !

BlackZaire

One of my fish has developed a funny looking condition.

It started about 4 weeks ago. The condition is red pimple's that have developed over the fish's body with increasing severity.

Initially I though that it was bites etc caused from inter fish rivalry, however closer observation has shown that this isn't the case.

I have treated with sterizin as I thought it must be Lice, with no improvement and new spots forming.

It doesn't seem to be contagious as no other fish show any signs whatsoever.

There has been no effect on the fish's appetite.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Black Zaire,

Are the pimples predominantly along the lateral line or on the head? Do the pimples burst and manifest into "ulcers"? If so, then maybe it is hole-in-the-head disease.

However, this is my unsighted guess. Do the pimples start off looking like ich and then develop into wart-like pimples? Possibly it is lymphocystis (cauliflower disease). In this case, the growths are actually tumours caused when a virus has penetrated the cells in the skin. The infected mush must be isolated to prevent further spread. The tumours on the fins can be gently scraped off with a blade, however if it is a severe infection, it is usually incurable. You can try copper sulphate and water changes; this has been known to assist. Not much information around on viral diseases unfortunately sad.gif .

HTH

merjo

Hi Blackzaire,

What's ur temperature at??

I was told by one LFS owner that cichlids will often get that pimple like stuff when the temperature is too high.

So i would suggest maybe gradually reducing the temperature a bit and see if it disappears. This has worked for me if we are talking about the same thing.

Cheers.

Hyung

Have you considered anchor worm??? If you've had it before then it can reoccur in a tank.

Do a google search for the symptoms, i believe they cause red bump like ulcers all over the body!!!

i think they are treatable but you'll need to find out more about them.

Archived