Geophagus 'Rio Araguia'

Cuong

I just recently got 7 of these little guys, and with my camera arriving yesterday I figured it was a good chance to take my first baby steps in non-point-and-click photography. They've settled in well and have just started to show some colours around the finnage.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Comments are most welcome,

SchmucK

Thanks for the comments guys, and yeah I can't wait to see what they'll turn out like later.

Wui- my brother picked them up off the 'alternative' forum up here in QLD laugh.gif

Just another picture of them I forgot to upload.

user posted image

Thanks for the comment hilal, I have them in a 4'x18"x20" and will move them to a 6' display if they begin to look too cramped. They're living with a few catfish- peppermints, normal BN, L168s and hopefully some corydoras in the near future.

Great looking pics thumb.gif

I recently acquired 10 Geophagus Tapaja Orange head & was a little concerned with putting bristlenose in with them in case they ate the Geo's eggs. Do you think this is a problem.

Also is there much difference between the Tapaja & what you have.

Cheer's Dave

I know very little about their breeding and parenting skills, but according to this they're mouth brooders. If that's the case then I don't think a bristlenose would be any danger. Again I'm not completely sure about differentiating between the species, which seems to be common when you're dealing with geos, but I think they're just subtypes, collected from different tributaries (ie. Rio Tapajos and Rio Araguia).

hey awsom pics cant wait til there bigger. i also have the Tapajos ones. The only differences i kno of is that the Araguaia is slimer,has a longer lateral spot, more rounded head, the orange/red on its head isnt as dark and it has more of a yellow tinge to its body.

Both of them are larvophilous mouth brooders so they should be fine with b/nose, i have them in with mine.

keep us updated

james

Both are mouthbrooders that lay thier eggs on a flat surface. After 36-38hrs the fry hatch and are taken into the parents mouths. I thought this would be the time that the eggs would be vulnerable to bristlenose.

James have your Tapajos bred with bristlenose in with them.

Dave

Archived