I'm Baffled

hoges

Last night i went to feed my fish as per normal and put them to bed before heading out for the night.

Everyone was happy and feeding as per normal.

I come home this morn and turn the light on to say good morning and my 20cm plecco is floating at the top of my tank, stiff as a board, with a HUGE lumpy tummy (it looked like he'd eaten marbles) and white mucus looking stuff coming out of his mouth.

His general body condition is perfect, so damage whatsover. Water parametres are all fine, temp normal, filtration good, airation good.

Nothing has changed in the tank recently, I did a 20% water change about 3 days ago, but checked parametres after and put everythig back to normal.

Can anyone help to explain this, I was soooooooo sad this morn, he's been my baby for so long, and had just started to get defining patterns and stuff.

I had the same issue with my Salmon Catfish a few years back. With no signs of fighting, being bullied etc...just unexplained.

The same thing happen to me a few months back as well as my lone Clown Loach left me. those loaches alway scare me the way they rest. But this time it was no trick. he was gone. He was a trooper, once when I cleaned the whole tank out, he was out of water for about three hours, then when I lifted up my driftwood out of the bathtub, there he was, gasping for air, all that time.

And I had him for about 5 years. He was about 20cm in length. Poor thing. I miss him.

Steve

I weep everytime I see one dead. Luckily not for some time, until a few weeks back when ,y clown loach died, he was 5 years old. And the only real survivour in my tank. Most of the others have been sold, passed on to other people or (died, when I first started years ago and didn't know what I was doing.)

sad.gif

Steve

Sorry to hear about your fish loss... sad.gif

If you really want to know about the cause, I may suggest the autopsy.

I did it to one of my dead fish some time ago.

I was really mad about the loss, so I wanted to know what was the cause.

I found a very small plastic ball was in poor fella's stomach... sad.gif

Cheers

Mike

thanks for the suggestion but I think I have done enough chopping up of things for this lifetime.....

It was part of my university degree to pull apart dead ppl, Doing the same to my fish, just doesn't really do it for me.

Anyways its a little too late as he;s been buried sad.gif

Hi hoges,

I too am sorry to hear about your loss. I have also heard of catties swallowing stones/gravel (for what reason, who knows). This sounds like a reasonable cause, however it doesn't help you with future prevention. It might be fun growing up another one.

merjo

True... very true....

It was heaps of fun watching him grow and then realise that it was better to play during the day and instead of at night (i don't think his tank companions liked getting woken up)

Yeh I think I will get another!!! smile.gif

thanks for all ur suggestions for what could of happened to him, much appreiciated. wub.gif

Archived