For those who have heated fish rooms

Camo

Hey all,

I am in the process of building my fish room as we speak. About the only thing i dont have is a heater. I would like to get a oil heater. With 5 or more fins. The room size is 14Lx12Wx10H (in foot).

If someone could direct me to a link or a store that stocks a heater that would be adequate to heat my room that would be great.

Cheers

Cameron

Hey

So bunnings has heaters. What kind would be best suited for my size fish room. I dont want to go reverse cycle air con as the room is not big enough for it.

Or would it just be better to run 10x 300W heaters rather than a oil heater?

Cheers

Cameron

Hey

Yes mate i will run a thermostat with it and a fan. I think you can get ones that have a thermostat already with it but think they would be a bit of money to buy.

Any help anyone

Cheers

Cameron

I have found the thermostats on the heaters fine. The electronic one will only control 600 watt. The minimum oil heater would be 1000-1200 watts. Most would have a 1200 and a 2400 watt setting. The extra cost for the thermostat is minimal.

How good are the thermostats on those column heaters?  Do you need to put an external one like this on it?

12x14x10 foot is a big area, way bigger than my single garage/fishroom.

and i have a reverse cycle aircon doing a fantastic job, just get a size to suit the area, mine is 2300w cooling, and 2100w heating, in summer in rockhampton it is 26, in winter its 26! which feels damm hot, and it makes for a nice warm place to sit and have breaky when its 2 outside.i have 20+ tanks in there.

thats less than 10 300w heaters.and all the cords and power boards to go with it , and any potential dramas with thermostates sticking.

oil heaters are good but they tend to get in the way sitting in the middle of the room, and you need a fan aswell so they work decent enough.

apparently gas heaters are very good also

A couple of points:-

Reverse cycle air cons still have a thermostat.

Once the room is up to temperature there is a large thermal mass of water and there won't be rapid temperature changes - assuming there is some degree of insulation.

12x14x10 foot is a big area, way bigger than my single garage/fishroom.

and i have a reverse cycle  aircon doing a fantastic job, just get a size to suit the area, mine is 2300w cooling, and 2100w heating, in summer in rockhampton it is 26, in winter its 26! which feels damm hot, and it makes for a nice warm place to sit and have breaky when its 2 outside.i have 20+ tanks in there.

thats less than 10 300w heaters.and all the cords and power boards to go with it , and any potential dramas with thermostates sticking.

oil heaters are good but they tend to get in the way sitting in the middle of the room, and you need a fan aswell so they work decent enough.

apparently gas heaters are very good also

Not that I'm running a fish room but gas heaters are fantastic - we have a huge room that is heated by a single gas heater all through winter and it keeps it toasty warm. Much cheaper to run per kilowatt of energy than electricity - only issue is making sure that you keep an eye on the gas levels if you are not on city gas (like us). In our situation we have two large gas cylinders, with only one turned on. When that one starts getting low (as per gauge reading) the other one gets opened up allowing the gas man a chance to come round and refill them both. We have never run out of gas this way - but you do have to check the gauge every once in a while.

I reccomend though that in a fish room situation where temp is critical that you get an electrically controlled gas heater (such as the one we have). The temp is controlled to an exact degree, has a built in fan to dissipate the heat evenly through the room, and turns off completely/ignites itself electrically when needed to preserve gas and avoid further heating the room. This way you also dont have to have a pilot light burning during hot days as the thing is completely switched off. Very much a 'set and forget' system.

Unless the gas heater is flued combustion by-products may well be toxic to the fish. I know they can certainly have an effect on people. I would suggest you go the reverse cycle option as the least cost alternative and you have the added benefit of cooling if required. Second best would be the oil filled electric heater with an inbuilt thermostat. IMHO

Not that I'm running a fish room but gas heaters are fantastic - we have a huge room that is heated by a single gas heater all through winter and it keeps it toasty warm. Much cheaper to run per kilowatt of energy than electricity - only issue is making sure that you keep an eye on the gas levels if you are not on city gas (like us). In our situation we have two large gas cylinders, with only one turned on. When that one starts getting low (as per gauge reading) the other one gets opened up allowing the gas man a chance to come round and refill them both. We have never run out of gas this way - but you do have to check the gauge every once in a while.

I reccomend though that in a fish room situation where temp is critical that you get an electrically controlled gas heater (such as the one we have). The temp is controlled to an exact degree, has a built in fan to dissipate the heat evenly through the room, and turns off completely/ignites itself electrically when needed to preserve gas and avoid further heating the room. This way you also dont have to have a pilot light burning during hot days as the thing is completely switched off. Very much a 'set and forget' system.

Unless the gas heater is flued combustion by-products may well be toxic to the fish

I think the issue with these heaters is a decrease in oxygen levels in the room, rather than toxic by-products.

Either way, you are not allowed to have a gas bayonet fitted near bedrooms so people don't die in their sleep, so I wouldn't be putting one of these into a sealed fishroom.

Archived