Home Made mbuna food

catalyst

I know there is a post here somewhere with the recipe but I cant find it no matter how I search. The one I am looking for had green prawns, spinach and peas plus some other things I cant remember.

Can any one give it to me again.

Thanks Garry

biggrin.gif

Garry,

Mine is mainly the same as Anita's the 'DIY' section, But I leave out the cod oil and I use Agar instead of Gelatine. I dont make it up in such large quantities either. Mine has

500gm Marinara mix

1 white fish fillet

8-10 prawns (whole prawn shells and all)

about quater of a bag of mixed vegies about 150 grams (peas, corn & carrot I think it is)

1 bunch of fresh spinach ( I used to use frozen but I think fresh is best)

1 tablespoon spirulina power

and agar ( 1 tablespoon to 1 cup boiling water)

I just put in a blender and munch it up. Put into zip lock bags and roll out flat, then lay in freezer.

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Josh and Evelyn

Out of curiosity, how much roughly (by weight) does that make and what is the (very rough) cost? Also, how long is it OK in the freezer?

Cheers - OziOscar.

the most expensive ingredient is the spirulina powder It cost about $20 for a 100gm container, but it should last for 4-5 lots of food

500gm Marinara mix =$5.00

1 white fish fillet =$2.50

8-10 prawns =$2.00 depends on price/kilo I get the cheap ones

about quater of a bag of mixed vegies =$1.50

1 bunch of fresh spinach =$2.50

1 tablespoon spirulina power =$4.50

and agar =$1.00

All up it would work out between $15 and $20. You can use frozen spiniach and gelentine is cheaper than Agar. Also I made it for a long time with out the spiriulina. I buy the reusable 'zip-lock' bags which cost $2-3 for 10 (I think) and usually get 6-7 bags depending on the thickness I make it. Try to get it about 2-4mm thick. Mine last me about 4 months depending on how often i feed this to my fish and the amount of tanks we have set-up, at the moment we have five so it may not last as long. But you will still need some other type of food anyway, so that you can vary their diet a little

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Josh and Evelyn

Hi all

I found that the blender can chop this up a bit fine and foul the tank. I got around this by putting the mix through one of those crank handle powered meat grinders that clamps onto the bench. It takes a bit longer and can be a bit messy but I find that the results are much better. An hour's work can get you months of high quality cheap fish food.

BTW, does anyone know a supplier of those ice-cube trays with the smaller capacity cubes? My old brine shrimp trays are getting a bit worn.

Cheers

Richard

Archived