Water changes

gswalker

I too used to take a very rigid strict approach and was probably quick to reprimand blush.gif when individual's would not follow advice or parameters that I thought were best practice with Tropheus.

Over the past couple of years however, due to a number of circumstances, and still waiting I might add, for the remainder of the new tanks, I have had the opportunity to see my Tropheus thrive, each under very different sets of circumstances and husbandry smile.gif .

My oldest colony is 7 years old in a 5x2x2 rocked out aquarium with a sump - 60 fish no losses in all that time - breeding well. The next are six years old in a 4x2x2 with an aquaclear and small powerhead, no rock at all due to aggression and a lowered temp- 25 fish no losses in that time. The remaining 6 variants are in various setups including a 3' (no space remember) and are all breeding well - with no losses.

I can also add that we moved from Katoomba to Woonona in that time - they all survived.

I still advocate the feeding of veg but am willing to stretch soon to try NLS. Yes we age their water (not heated), yes we religiously do 50% water changes weekly and yes I feed sparingly once a day - this is my best practice.

I have in those 7 years with the T's lost almost one whole new colony to bloat a few short months ago and yes it may have been something I did, or something they had prior to my tank or just the law of averages - but what a learning curve smile.gif

However the successes far outweigh the loss and with the number of T fry produced now in the four digits and with only 25 losses in all that time I am either very lucky and living on borrowed time or a more flexible, understanding and knowledgable fishkeeper always ready to learn more thumb.gif

Craig- My T jumped out of a holding bin, not a tank. I realised too late.

The reason why I stated the 'whatever works' comment is there seems to be an increased amount of people who are keeping Tropheus successfully with varying methods. My method happens to be 50% weekly water changes with aged, buffered, salted, aerated and heated water and I always tell people of my success with this method. I just don't want to forget about other people's success with other methods, even though I am not going to change my routine.

This isn't a criticism, I really enjoy reading your comments smile.gif .

Jamie.

well i have a 4x2x2 with 2 canisters and internal power filter that i dont put on that much cause too powerful for the fish, i have 20 T.duboisi and they are about 4 cm, so i guess fortnightly change is ok for this year smile.gif?

G'day Gavin

The fish will be okay with this frquency but my fish grow much quicker with more frequent waterchanges.

I know it is a hassle but I believe it is worth the effort of getting it close to a weekly waterchange.

cya Matthew

Just to give this topic another slant, I have 1 x tropheus (ex Craig Thompson) it is a K 1/2, lives in a 6 x 2 x 2, with no buffers added.

Seachem salts and water changes once a month (@ the change of the calender months) straight from the tap with Safe added straight into the tank in soluable solution.

After reading Kevins post it is exactly the routine I go through. hysterical.gif

And.............the little bugger is thriving, coloured up brilliant and happy as a pig in mud. thumbup.gif

So in my opinion these tropheus don't need all the mamby pambering some of em get.............their hardy little fighters. wub.gif

His tank mates are Africans - Malawi & Tangs, CA's, SA's, Australian natives, Tetras, BN's, even sharks. Also Jamies twisted Potomelus. hug.gif

Let the purists tell me it can't be done. shock.gif

Oh and by the way they get NLS. thumbup.gif

i believe with more and more people keeping tropheus we will discover that they are able to put up with a wide variety of conditions.

However, to keep them healthy and breeding is another thing. I know people who keep there tropheus in unbuffered/salted water and have their tropheus breeding continuously, but they do do weekly water changes.

Maybe u should do what u are doing with a colony of tropheus and let us know if u have the same success. But i wouldn't recommend doing it with wildcaughts! wink2.gif

This is a slightly different approach. I have three species tanks. All are going well and breeding. I do fortnightly water changes of 15-20%. I also have a plant,"hornwort" growing in the tanks that are lighted 10 hrs per day. I measure the nitrates at 5 ppm - it stays pretty constant. I age the bore water I use - no added salts. I heat it to tank temperature.

i believe with more and more people keeping tropheus we will discover that they are able to put up with a wide variety of conditions.

Thats the truth Dave. I think the secret when keeping Tropheus is being consistant, whether it is keeping them the traditional way or trying something different.

I do know tropheus are very tolerant of slow change but dont like sudden change.

I think where some people come unstuck is when they dont try to keep Tropheus in a similar way to what they were previously kept. Some people will only keep them the way they have always kept all their fish and when something goes wrong, dont understand why.

Josh

Archived