For those wondering where to buy "egg crate"

spedwards

I ask a lot of questions, but now it's time to give something back!

As people often wonder where to pick up "egg crate" I thought I might go through my experiences.

I first started with a wholesale electrical / lighting store across the road from work, they had nothing and suggested I look elsewhere. Similar story when asking at other stores about the place.

Put in a call to the local Turks. Friendly guy who gave me a call back said it was best to direct due to the extra costs associated with getting it via Turks. The place they use is called York Precision Plastics (http://www.ypp.com.au/), based in Sydney at Riverwood (they also have offices in Melbourne, Brisbane and Adelaide).

The girls in sales are very helpful and very chatty (they were shocked to hear some of the pricing I had seem around), a few minutes and $20.80 later I walked out the door with a sheet about 1200 x 600. Telling them I was wanting "egg crate" and it was for aquarium use they knew exactly what I wanted. Two thumbs up thumbup.gif

Lakemba is just down the road so I was also able to stop by Mini-Crete to pick up some crushed marble - couldn't be happier with my mornings efforts.

Wow, that means there's less than $10 markup for it to get up to here. Surprising, though I guess it is still 150%

Thats a great price but have you ever looked at the bottom of milk crates and bread trays (the ones they deliver bread in) they work out much cheaper cool.gif

I'm designing a new DIY sump and am actualy using whole milk crates as boxes for media. Its a big sump i have in mind but it'll double as a grow tank.

Cheers Couchy thumbup.gif

Thats a great price but have you ever looked at the bottom of milk crates and bread trays (the ones they deliver bread in) they work out much cheaper cool.gif

I hope you really scrub them well, because I see and use them often at work and they are really filthy. Plus they are queit sharp and jagged. I wouldnt use them for that reason.

Guest parallel

Talking about egg crate. I was digging around the office the other day and found a sample of turf underlay thingy. It is about 50cm x 60cm x 2cm approximate, will post picts up next week. I thought to myself great I can put in ex-spedwards tank, (thanks mate bargain, just need to put the doors in) but it is too small for a 4 footer so it is now sitting under my desk.

I'm thinking of offering it to someone (free thumb.gif ). Any interested party can PM me but I will only offer to those who is going to use it and not just becoz is free.

I reckon it can hold about 30 kg easy as it's design is like checkers board. Too bad the project didn't go ahead or else...hehehhe freebies for everyone...did I said that out loud....the manager might hear me... LOL.gif

Cheers

Hilton

Archived