To air or sump it?

Richard

G'day all fellow ACE members;

So i'm grabbing my rack on Saturday, it's a dual level rack fitting four 4x20x18's. The tanks are all drilled from the top back panel not from the bottom with PVC pipes all joining and ready to join up to the mini reef. So the question is, should i just buy a pump and a sump and set up a mini reef system or should i just buy sponge filters and heaters for each tank and run it like that? I'm trying to save money and time aswell so what would be the best option? Also if i do end up setting up a sump what power pump would i need to sufficiently filter all four tanks?

cheers; Richard

how filthy are the species you plan to keep & do they all require identical water perameters?

Obviously a sump will be dearer to run, and you probably should put a UV on the return line to prevent anything getting right through the system - but the maintainence will be dramatically less compared to simple sponge filters.

Have you considered side drops? That's a way of having cheaper running systems with lower maintainence just like a sump.

Pump size if you went for a sump, say they are 250l each taking into accound substrate/decor/etc you'll probably need a 6000lph pump when it comes to head height, odds on that'll be well over 100w.

Hey Ash;

I plan on keeping some tangs and afew malawis, im sure the malawis will be okay in pH ranges of 7.8-8. Nothing big though, most probably all fish will reach 20cms max.

What would i need to set up some side drops? I think i'd have to organsie someone to come round and stick in the glass panels? Also the tanks are only 4ft so how much room would the side drop then take up.

Now that i think of it im pretty sure side drops are a good way to go for me, i already have the irrigation pipe and the large air pump, just not too sure bout the glass attachment yet..

cheers; Richard

Hi Richard,

I'm jist about to put some corner side drops in 4 new 2X18X18 tanks. I'm using perspex so that I can drill a hole for the reurn pipes. Also the perspex cut to size works out cheaper than the glass. Doing it yourself won't be a problem as it dosen't need to be absolutely watertight.

I would sump.

Tanks are drilled already. No need on messing with overflows.

DIY sump palns are all over the place. Ben sells a cheap pump (i'm using one of those Eheim clones).

I don't know if a UV steriliser is necessary. I have had no problems with my system *touch wood.

If you want to know more. PM me

Mitch

Come for a drive to Woodford Richard.

I have one rack running on sidedrops, and another rack running on a sump. You'll see first hand how they run, how they look, how much room each option needs, and I might even have some perspex you could use to make the corner drops that David was talking about wink2.gif

Just wondering about electricity;

For the sidedrop idea all four tanks are going to need atleast a 150watt heater each, thats a total of 600watts from just the heaters. The air pump will then be another 100watts or so, therefore totaling to a estimate of 700watts?

Whereas for the sum i'll only need one heater in the sump, most probably a 300watt heater plus the pump which will be around 120watts. So that comes down to about 420watts in total.

Thats a saving of 280watts plus a larger turn over rate.

So far the sump idea is winning..

For the sidedrop idea all four tanks are going to need atleast a 150watt heater each, thats a total of 600watts from just the heaters. The air pump will then be another 100watts or so, therefore totaling to a estimate of 700watts?

Thats not entirely true....

Your 6 heaters will not be running flat out 24/7....unless you live down near Baz smile.gif

However, you will have the initial cost of 6 x heaters as opposed to 1 for the sump.

Go for the sump....maintenance will be a breeze.

If it were upto me I'd go both. Sump filtration is great but having both would really help the water and the fish would benefit too. Depending on your room temp and insulation etc. you wouldn't get away with just one heater anyway you do it. i'd recommend bigger than 150 watts per tank too. (Unless your in qld or WA, NT etc. i didn't look at your location.) I have two racks similar in size to yours and they're both running sumps and haven't had trouble with water since they started running. But i have seen a few setups where the breeder went for both to be on safe side with great results. Cheers Couchy thumbup.gif

It's always a little amusing as I see it so often with people comparing heater sizes and cost of running etc. (Not having a shot at you Richard :thumbup.gif ) The basic laws of physics means that no matter how many heaters of whatever size you run you will use the same amount of energy depending on what the ambient is and what temp you want to keep the water. One heater in the sump will take as much energy as a heater in each tank to keep the same temperature. The only saving is in the number of heaters. I would use two at least in case one fails. If a heater sticks on you also run the risk of over heating all your tanks rather than just one for individual heaters. Lots of decisions??

Just wondering about electricity;

Whereas for the sum i'll only need one heater in the sump, most probably a 300watt heater plus the pump which will be around 120watts. So that comes down to about 420watts in total.

Thats a saving of 280watts plus a larger turn over rate.

So far the sump idea is winning..

One other thing to think about. If you run a central sump water changes are very easy. (Given with a rack water changes arent too hard anyway if you have a long gravel vac and a hose). Larger water volume is better for the fish. May have the problem of spread of disease being easier in a central system. Baz's rack has a way in which you can isolate a tank if there is a chance of disease. Well worth taking him up on that invitation.

With my rack i chose air, but only because i can never keep my mind focused on what i want. I change likes with the wind.

Adam

Archived