Ballooned fish

pride

It seems now there is a ballooned version of numerous species of tropicals including cichlids? How do they make a ballooned fish? Some of the balloon gourami's look pretty bad....sort of like a head with fins. Obviously this is being done in Asia by the pool load.

Ballooning is an inbred spinal deformity (I think it ends up breeding true). I've seen rams with it and mollies. I don't like it much (in the same way I don't like chinese crested dogs), but most of the girls I know think they're kind of cute. I guess it comes down to personal aesthetics and ethics. I think most serious keepers of cichlids will stay away from "unnatural" forms, as well as hybrids, as they want their fish to be as naturally beautiful as possible and not turn into something that ends up being like a goldfish.

It seems now there is a ballooned version of numerous species of tropicals including cichlids? How do they make a ballooned fish? Some of the balloon gourami's look pretty bad....sort of like a head with fins. Obviously this is being done in Asia by the pool load.

Archived